Some notes on power management on FPGA-based systems
Although the energy required to perform a logic operation has continuously dropped at least by ten orders of magnitude since early vacuum-tube electronics , the increasing clock frequency and gate density of the current integrated circuits has appended power consumption to traditional design trade-offs. This paper explore the usefullness of some low-power design methods based on architectural and implementation modifications, for FPGA-based electronic systems. The contribution of spurious transitions to the overal consumption is evidenced and main strategies for its reduction are analized. The efectiveness of pipelining and partitioning inprovements as low-power design methodologies are quantified by case-studies based on array multipliers. Moreover, a methodology suitable for FPGAs power analysis is presented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R Keyes, “Miniaturization of electronics and its limits”, IBM J. of Res. Develop. Vol.32, nℴ1. January 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.Xilinx, Inc., Technical Conference and Seminar Series, 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.Z. Lemnios y K. Gabriel, “Low-Power Electronic”, IEEE Design & Test of Computers, pp. 8–13, winter 1994.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Chandrakasan, S. Sheng y R. Brodersen, “Low-Power CMOS Digital Design”, IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol.27, Nℴ4, pp.473–484. April 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.D. Wong, “Techniques for Designing High-Performance Digital Circuits Using Wave Pipelining”, Technical report No. CLS-TR-92-508. Stanford University, february 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.E. Boemo, S. López, G. González and J. Meneses, “On the usefulness of pipelining and wave pipelining as low-power design technique”, Proc. 1995 PATMOS Conf. (in press).Google Scholar
- 7.C. Su, C. Tsui y A. Despain, “Low Power Architecture Design and Compilation Techniques for High-Performance Processors”, Proc. Sprint COMPCON 94, pp.489–498. IEEE Press, 1994.Google Scholar
- 8.R. Hossain, L. Wronski y A. Albicki, “Low Power Desing Using Double Edge Triggered Flip-Flops”, IEEE Trans. on VLSI Systems, Vol.2, Nℴ2, pp.261–265. June 1994.Google Scholar
- 9.H.H. Guild, “Fully Iterative Fast Array for Binary Multiplication and Addition”, Electronic Letters, pp.263, Vol.5, Nℴ12, June 1969.Google Scholar
- 10.C. Hauck, C. Bamji and J. Allen, “The Systematic Exploration of Pipelined Array Multiplier Performance”, Proceeding ICASSP 85, pp.1461–1464. New York: IEEE Press, 1985.Google Scholar
- 11.M. Hatamian and G. Cash. “A 70-MHz 8-bit × 8 bit Parallel Pipelined Multiplier in 2.5-um CMOS”. IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, August 1986.Google Scholar