Heterogeneous morphing of multimodal medical information
The paper presents a general non-rigid body representation for physically-based modeling of dynamic behaviour of heterogeneous objects and its application in a development of a new heterogeneous morphing technique to solve distortion correction problems arising in the medical data processing. The proposed representation provides a simply applicable tool for modeling of real medical objects allowing fast and reliable calculation of geometric deformations and simulation of dynamic behaviour in a heterogeneous environment when only a few initial landmark displacements are known.
The proposed method is applied in a distortion correction process of CT medical data sets, especially in an automatic processing of heterogeneous CT scans of human brain.
KeywordsPhysically-based modeling Medical visualization Morphing Particle system dynamics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BaKo89]Bajcsy, R.-Kovačič, S.: Multiresolution Elastic Matching, Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, Vol. 46, 1989, pp. 1–21.Google Scholar
- [Barz92]Barzel, R.: Physically-Based Modeling for Computer Graphics: A Structured Approach, Academic Press, Inc., San Diego, CA, 1992, 334 p.Google Scholar
- [Book91]Bookstein, F. L.: Thin-plate Splines and the Atlas Problem for Biomedical Images, Information Processing in Medical Imaging, Colchester, A. C. F., Hawkes, D. J. (eds.), Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 1991, pp. 326–342.Google Scholar
- [Brow92]Brown, L. G.: Image Registration Techniques, ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 24, December 1992, pp. 325–376.Google Scholar
- [JaGr94]Jankovič, V.-Gröller, E.: Physically-based Matching of Multimodal Medical Information, Proceedings of the Spring School on Computer Graphics, Bratislava, Slovakia, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Jank95]Jankovič, V.: Digital Objects, Department of Computer Graphics and Image Processing, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Comenius University, Bratislava, Slovakia, 1995.Google Scholar
- [JaRN93]Jankovič, V.-Ružický, E.-Niepel, L'.: Smooth Morphological Transformation of CT and MR Medical Data, Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns'93, Proceedings of the V. International Conference, Budapest, 1993.Google Scholar
- [SLSS87]Schad, L.-Lott, S.-Schmitt, F.-Sturm, V.-Lorentz. W. J.: Correction of Spatial Distortion in MR Imaging: A Prerequisite for Accurate Steroetaxy, Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, Vol. 11, No. 3 (May/June), 1987.Google Scholar
- [SePa86]Sederberg, T. W.-Parry, S. R.: Free-Form Deformation of Solid Geometric Models. Computer Graphics, Vol. 20, No. 4, 1986, pp. 151–160.Google Scholar
- [WiKa93]Witkin, A.-Kass, M.: An Introduction to Physically Based Modeling, SIGGRAPH 93, Course Notes 60, Anaheim, Cal. 1993.Google Scholar