Moment-based invariant fitting of elliptical segments
In this paper, we introduce a new approach to the fitting problem for elliptical segments. In a way other than generally described in literature, we don't fit elliptical curve segments but elliptical area segments. Because of the numerical stability of area-based moments, this fitting is generally better than the results obtained by the common used algebraic fitting methods. Further advantages of the moment-based method are the affine invariance of the results, smaller variance and bias, and the possibility to investigate exactly the theoretical model. The goodness of the new fitting method is demonstrated by some numerical experiments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bo79.Bookstein F.L.: Fitting conic sections to scattered data. CVGIP 9 (1979) 59–71Google Scholar
- Fo91.Forsyth D.,Mundy J.L.,Zissermann A.,Coelho C.,Heller C.,Heller A.,Rothwell C.: Invariant descriptors for 3D object recognition and pose. PAMI 13 (1991) 971–991Google Scholar
- Jo94.Joseph S.H.: Unbiased least squares fitting of circular arcs. CVGIP 56 (1994) 424Google Scholar
- Ka94.Kanatani K.: Statistical analysis of geometric computation. CVGIP 59 (1994) 286–306Google Scholar
- Ka94a.Kanatani K.: Statistical bias of conic fitting and renormalization. PAM 16 (1994)Google Scholar
- Po90.Porill J.: Fitting ellipses and predicting confidence envelopes using a bias corrected Kaiman filter. CVGIP 8 (1990) 37–41Google Scholar
- Ro93.Roth G.: Extracting geometric primitives. CVGIP 58 (1993) 1–22Google Scholar
- Sa82.Sampson P.D.: Fitting conic sections to very scattered data. CVGIP 18 (1982) 97–108Google Scholar
- Sa92.Saffee R., Smith K.C., Benhabib B., Tchoukanov I.:Application of moment and Fourier descriptors to the accurate estimation of elliptical shape parameters. PAMI 4 (1992) 2465–2468Google Scholar
- Ts78.Tsuji S., Matsumoto F.: Detection of ellipses by a modified Hough Transformation. C 27 (1978) 777–781Google Scholar
- Vo95.Voss K., Süße H.: Adaptive Modelle und Invarianten für zweidimensionale Bilder. Shaker Verlag, Aachen 1995Google Scholar
- Yu89.Yuen H.K., Illingworth J., Kittler J.: Detecting partially occluded ellipses using Hough Transform. CVGIP 7 (1989) 31–37Google Scholar