Dummy elimination: Making termination easier
We investigate a technique whose goal is to simplify the task of proving termination of term rewriting systems. The technique consists of a transformation which eliminates function symbols considered “useless” and simplifies the rewrite rules. We show that the transformation is sound, i. e., termination of the original system can be inferred from termination of the transformed one. For proving this result we use a new notion of lifting of orders that is a generalization of the multiset construction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bellegarde, F., and Lescanne, P. Termination by completion. Applicable Algebra in Engineering, Communication and Computing 1, 2 (1990), 79–96.Google Scholar
- 3.Dershowitz, N. Termination of rewriting. Journal of Symbolic Computation 3, 1 and 2 (1987), 69–116.Google Scholar
- 4.Dershowitz, N., and Jouannaud, J.-P. Rewrite systems. In Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science, J. van Leeuwen, Ed., vol. B. Elsevier, 1990, ch. 6, pp. 243–320.Google Scholar
- 6.Ferreira, M. C. F., Middeldorp, A., Ohsaki, H., and Zantema, H. Transforming termination by self-labelling. in preparation, 1995.Google Scholar
- 7.Ferreira, M. C. F., and Zantema, H. Total termination of term rewriting. In Proceedings of the 5th Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications (1993), C. Kirchner, Ed., vol. 690 of LNCS, Springer, pp. 213–227. Full version to appear in Applicable Algebra in Engineering, Communication and Computing.Google Scholar
- 8.Ferreira, M. C. F., and Zantema, H. Well-foundedness of term orderings. To appear at CTRS 94 (Workshop on Conditional and Typed Term Rewriting Systems).Google Scholar
- 9.Kamin, S., and Lévy, J. J. Two generalizations of the recursive path ordering. University of Illinois, 1980.Google Scholar
- 10.Zantema, H. Termination of term rewriting by semantic labelling. Tech. Rep. RUU-CS-92-38, Utrecht University, December 1992. Extended and revised version appeared as RUU-CS-93-24, July 1993, accepted for special issue on term rewriting of Fundamenta Informaticae.Google Scholar
- 12.Zantema, H., and Geser, A. A complete characterization of termination of 0p1q → 1r0s. In Proceedings of the 6th Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications (1995), J. Hsiang, Ed., vol. 914 of LNCS, Springer, pp. 41–55. Appeared as report UU-CS-1994-44, Utrecht University.Google Scholar