Performance evaluation and visualization with VISPAT
A tool for performance analysis of parallel programs implemented using the MPI message passing standard is presented. The paper discusses the way information about program execution is gathered, processed and visualized by the graphical front end of the tool. Emphasis is placed on demonstrating how the tool helps the tuner to reduce the volume of data that has to be examined and to relate the behaviour of the program to the source code.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carriero, N., Gelernter, D.: Applications experience with Linda. Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Parallel Programming (1988).Google Scholar
- 2.Heath, M. T., Etheridge, J. A.: Visualizing the performance of parallel programs. IEEE Software 8(5) (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.Hondroudakis, A., Procter, R.: The design of a tool for parallel program analysis and tuning. IFIP WG10.3 Working Conference on Programming Environments for Massively Parallel and Distributed Systems (1994) 321–332.Google Scholar
- 4.Message Passing Interface Forum.: MPI: A Message-Passing Interface Standard (1994).Google Scholar
- 5.Reed, D. A., Aydt, R. A., Madhyastha, T. M., Noe, R. J., Shields, K. A., Schwarts. B. W.: An overview of the pablo performance analysis environment. Technical report, Department of Computer Science, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois 61801 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.Wilson, G. V.: Assessing the usability of parallel programming systems: The cowichan problems. IFIP Working Conference on Programming Environments for Massively Parallel Distributed Systems (1994) 183–194.Google Scholar