Bivariate polynomial multiplication patterns
Motivated by multiplication of numerical univariate polynomials with various kinds of truncation we study corresponding bivariate problems A(x, y)·B(x, y) = C(x, y) in the algebraic setting with indeterminate coefficients over suitable ground fields, counting essential multiplications only. The rectangular case concerning factors A, B with entries x i y j for i ≤ n, j≤ m, e. g. with m = n, has complexity (2n + 1)2. Here multiplication with single truncation, computing the product C(x,y) mod xn+1, or mod y n+1 , seems still to have the same full multiplication complexity, as is well-known for the univariate case, while the double truncation case mod (x n+1 , y n+1 ) admits the reduced upper bound 3n2 + 4n + 1, opposed to a lower bound of 2n2 + 4n + 1. We have a similar saving factor for the triangular case with factors A, B of total degree n to be multiplied mod (x n+1 ,x n y,...,y xn+1 ). There remains the issue to find the exact complexities of these multiplication problems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AS81]A. Alder and V. Strassen. On the algorithmic complexity of associative algebras. Theoret. Comput. Sci. 15 (1981), 201–211.Google Scholar
- [dG87]H. F. de Groote. Lectures on the Complexity of Bilinear Problems. Lect. Notes Comp. Sci. 245, Springer 1987.Google Scholar
- [Sc82]A. Schönhage. Asymptotically fast algorithms for the numerical multiplication and division of polynomials with complex coefficients. In Computer Algebra EUROCAM '82 (Marseille 1982), ed. J. Calmet. Lect. Notes Comp. Sci. 144, 3–15.Google Scholar
- [Sc86]A. Schönhage. Equation solving in terms of computational complexity. Proc. Intern. Congress of Mathem., Berkeley 1986, Vol. 1, 131–153.Google Scholar
- [Sc90]A. Schönhage. Numerik analytischer Funktionen und Komplexität. Jber. d. Dt. Math.-Verein. 92 (1990), 1–20.Google Scholar
- [SGV]A. Schönhage, A. F. W. Grotefeld, and E. Vetter. Fast Algorithms — A Multitape Turing Machine Implementation. BI Wissenschaftsverlag, Mannheim, 1994.Google Scholar
- [St90]V. Strassen. Algebraic Complexity Theory. Handbook of Theoret. Comput. Sci., Vol. A, 633–672, ed. J. van Leeuwen. Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., 1990.Google Scholar
- [Wi80]S. Winograd. Arithmetic Complexity of Computations. Soc. of Industrial and Applied Mathematics, 1980.Google Scholar