Learning transformed prototypes (LTP) — A statistical pattern classification technique of neural networks
A statistical pattern recognition algorithm called learning transformed prototypes (LTP) is developed for probabilistic RAM (pRAM) neural networks. With LTP the pRAM net learns to map statistically the input sets to the output prototypes, or codebook vectors, in the binary domain. The method allows the pRAM net to self-organise the codebook vectors in the output space of arbitrary dimension. The similarities and differences of LTP with those algorithms such as LVQ (learning vector quantisation), SOFM (self-organised feature maps) and pRAM reinforcement learning are discussed. The training data processed in the method is the input-output spike series of the neural net, therefore the technique can be built into a hardware system with the currently available pRAM learning chips.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barto, A. G. & Anandan, P. (1985). Pattern recognising stochastic learning automata. IEEE Transactions on Syst. Man Cyb., 15, 360–374.Google Scholar
- Clarkson, T. G., Gorse, D., Taylor, J. G. & Ng., C. K. (1992). Learning probabilistic RAM nets using VLSI structures. IEEE Transactions on Computers. 41, 1552–1561.Google Scholar
- Clarkson, T. G., Guan, Y., Gorse, D. & Taylor, J. G. (1993). Generalisation in probabilistic RAM nets, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 4, 360–364.Google Scholar
- Gorse, D. & Taylor, J. G. (1989). An analysis of noisy RAM and neural nets. Physica D. 34, 90–114.Google Scholar
- Gorse, D. & Taylor, J. G. (1991). Universal associative stochastic learning automata. Neural Network World, 1, 193–202.Google Scholar
- Gray, R. M. (1984). Vector quantisation. IEEE ASSP Mag, 1, 4–29.Google Scholar
- Guan, Y., Clarkson, T. G., Taylor, J. G. & Gorse, D. (1992). The use of encoded outputs and reinforcement training in pRAM nets. In I. Aleksander & J. G. Taylor (Eds.). Artificial neural networks, 2 (pp. 653–656), London: North Holland.Google Scholar
- Guan, Y., Clarkson, T. G., Taylor, J. G. & Gorse, D. (1994). Noisy reinforcement training for pRAM nets. Neural Networks, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 523–538, 1994.Google Scholar
- Kohonen, T. (1982). Self-organized formation of topologically corrected feature maps. Biological Cybernetics, 43, 59–69.Google Scholar
- Kohonen, T. (1989). Self-organization and associative memory. Third ed. Berlin, Heidelberg: Spring-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Kohonen, T. (1992). Learning vector quantisation and the self organising map. In J. G. Taylor & C. L. Mannion (Eds.). Theory and applications of neural networks, pp. 235–242.Google Scholar