Simultaneous messages vs. communication
In the multiparty communication game introduced by Chandra, Furst, and Lipton [CFL] (1983), k players wish to evaluate collaboratively a function f(x0,⋯, xk−1 for which player i sees all inputs except x i . The players have unlimited computational power. The objective is to minimize the amount of communication.
We consider a restricted version of the multiparty communication game which we call the simultaneous messages model. The difference is that in this model, each of the k players simultaneously sends a message to a referee, who sees none of the input. The referee then announces the function value.
We show demonstrate an exponential gap between the Simultaneous Messages and the Communication models for up to (log n)1−∈ players, for any ∈>0. The separation is obtained by comparing the respective complexities of the generalized addressing function, GAFn,k, in each model. This work is motivated by an approach suggested by the results of Håstad & Goldmann (1991), Yao (1990), and Beigel & Tarui (1991) to separate ACC from complexity classes containing it.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BE]L. Babai, P. Erdös. Representation of Group Elements as Short Products. J. Turgeon, A. Rosa, G. Sabidussi, editor. Theory and Practice of Combinatorics, number 12, in Ann. Discr. Math., North-Holland, 1982, pp. 21–26.Google Scholar
- [BNS]L. Babai, N. Nisan, M. Szegedy. Multiparty Protocols, Pseudorandom Generators for Logspace and Time-Space Trade-offs. Journal of Computer and System Sciences 45 (1992), pp. 204–232.Google Scholar
- [BT]R. Beigel, J. Tarui, On ACC. Proc. of the 32nd IEEE FOCS, 1991, pp. 783–792.Google Scholar
- [CFL]A.K. Chandra, M.L. Fürst, R.J. Lipton, Multiparty protocols. Proc. of the 15th ACM STOC, 1983, pp. 94–99.Google Scholar
- [G]V. Grolmusz, The BNS Lower Bound for Multi-Party Protocols is Nearly Optimal. Information and Computation, 112 (1994), pp. 51–54.Google Scholar
- [HG]J. Håstad, M. Goldmann, On the Power of Small-Depth Threshold Circuits. Computational Complexity, 1 (1991), pp. 113–129.Google Scholar
- [MNT]Y. Mansour, N. Nisan, P. Tiwari, The Computational Complexity of Universal Hashing. Theoretical Computer Science, 107 (1993), pp. 121–133.Google Scholar
- [NW]N. Nisan, A. Wigderson, Rounds in Communication Complexity Revisited. SIAM Journal on Computing, 22 (1993), pp. 211–219.Google Scholar
- [PRS]P. Pudlák, V. Rödl, J. Sgall. Boolean circuits, tensor ranks and communication complexity, manuscript, March 11, 1994.Google Scholar
- [Y]A. C-C. Yao, On ACC and Threshold Circuits. Proc. of the 31st IEEE FOCS, 1990, pp. 619–627.Google Scholar