A scheme for multimedia and hypermedia synchronization
In this paper we present a synchronization scheme that addresses in an integrated manner the complex issues of synchronization required by Structured Multimedia and Hypermedia Presentations. Taking into account the capabilities of both the overlaying multimedia application layer and the network-supported Quality-of-Service (QoS), we describe a new multimedia synchronization service residing at the communication system, between the network transport services and the multimedia application layer. The use of this service performing coarse inter-stream synchronization is optional.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.“Coded Representation of Multimedia and Hypermedia Information Objects,” ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG12, MHEG Committee Draft, June 1993.Google Scholar
- 2.“Multimedia and Hypermedia Synchronization: A Unified Framework,” N.B. Pronios, Th. Bozios, 2nd IWACA, Heidelberg, Germany, 26–28 September, 1994.Google Scholar
- 3.“Extending OSI to Support Synchronization Required by Multimedia Applications”, Michel Salmony and Doug Shepherd, IBM European Networking Centre.Google Scholar
- 4.“A Continuous Media Transport and Orchestration Service,” Campbell et al, OSI 95 project, August 92.Google Scholar
- 5.“Synchronizing the Presentation of Multimedia Objects — ODA Extensions-,” Petra Hoepner, Multimedia Workshop, Stockholm, April 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.“Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio,” ISO13818-1: CD, March 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.“RTP: A Transport Protocol for Real-Time Applications,” S. Casner and H. Schulzinne, October 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.“Multimedia Synchronization: The role of the Communication System,” Th. Bozios, N. Pronios, “Broadband Islands: Towards Integration,” ELSEVIER 1993, pp 151–172.Google Scholar
- 9.“Multimedia Synchronization Techniques: Experiences Based on Different System Structures,” R. Steinmetz, MULTIMEDIA' 92, California April 1992, pp 306–314.Google Scholar
- 10.Multimedia Synchronization Functionality in the EuroBridge Platform, RACE 2008 EuroBridge project, Th. Bozios, N. Pronios, March 1994.Google Scholar