Location of the largest empty rectangle among arbitrary obstacles
This paper outlines the following generalization of the classical maximal-empty-rectangle (MER) problem: given n arbitrarily-oriented non-intersecting line segments of finite length on a rectangular floor, locate an empty isothetic rectangle of maximum area. Thus, the earlier restriction on isotheticity of the obstacles is relaxed. Based on the wellknown technique of matrix searching, a novel algorithm of time complexity O(nlog2n) and space complexity O(n), is proposed. Next, the technique is extended to handle the following two related open problems: locating the largest isothetic MER (i) inside an arbitrary simple polygon and (ii) amidst a set of arbitrary polygonal obstacles.
KeywordsComputational geometry algorithms matrix search complexity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- A. Naamad, D. T. Lee and W. L. Hsu, On the maximum empty rectangle problem, Discrete Applied Mathematics, vol. 8, pp. 267–277, 1984.Google Scholar
- M. J. Atallah and G. N. Frederickson, A note on finding a maximum empty rectangle, Discrete Applied Mathematics, vol. 13, pp. 87–91, 1986.Google Scholar
- M. Orlowski, A new algorithm for the largest empty rectangle problem, Algorithmica, vol. 5, pp. 65–73, 1990.Google Scholar
- M. J. Atallah and S. R. Kosaraju, An efficient algorithm for maxdominance, with applications, Algorithmica, vol. 4, pp. 221–236, 1989.Google Scholar
- B. Chazelle, R. L. Drysdale, and D. T. Lee, Computing the largest empty rectangle, SIAM J. Computing, Vol. 15, pp. 300–315, 1986.Google Scholar
- A. Aggarwal and S. Suri, Fast algorithm for computing the largest empty rectangle, Proc. 3rd Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry, pp. 278–290, 1987.Google Scholar
- S. C. Nandy, B. B. Bhattacharya and S. Ray, Efficient algorithms for identifying all maximal isothetic empty rectangles in VLSI layout design, Proc. FST & TCS — 10, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 437, Springer Verlag, pp. 255–269, 1990.Google Scholar
- S. C. Nandy and B. B. Bhattacharya, Maximal empty cuboids among points and blocks, submitted for publication, March 1994.Google Scholar
- A. Aggarwal and M. Klawe, Applications of generalized matrix searching to geometric algorithms, Discrete Applied Mathematics, vol. 27, pp. 3–23, 1990.Google Scholar
- S. C. Nandy, A. Sinha and B. B. Bhattacharya, Location of the largest empty rectangle among arbitrary obstacles, Technical Report P&E/E/CG-2, Electronics Unit, Indian Statistical Institute, Calcutta — 700 035, India, June 1993.Google Scholar