Formal and informal specifications of a secure system component: first results in a comparative study
This paper presents initial results in a comparative study of formal and conventional techniques in the design of a secure system component: a trusted gateway.
The operation of a trusted gateway is briefly introduced. The industrial context of its development is described, as is the form of the experiment. So far, part-formal and conventional design specifications have been produced for the trusted gateway from a common informal requirements document. As part of this process, queries have been raised against the informal requirements. These have been carefully logged, and form the subject of a preliminary analysis presented here. These first results suggest that the use of a formal specification language (in this case VDM-SL) leads to an an increased number of queries, and a bias in the specifier's concerns towards data rather than design issues.
KeywordsSecurity Policy Design Team Formal Design Test Plan Design Review
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BFL+94]J. C. Bicarregui, J. S. Fitzgerald, P. A. Lindsay, R. Moore, and B. Ritchie. Proof in VDM: A Practitioner's Guide. FACIT. Springer-Verlag, 1994. ISBN 3-540-19813-X.Google Scholar
- [BGFL94]T. M. Brookes, M. A. Green, J. S.Fitzgerald, and P. G.Larsen. A Comparison of the Conventional and Formal Design of a Secure System Component. FACS Europe, March 1994.Google Scholar
- [Bos93]T. Boswell. Specification and Validation of a Security Policy Model. In J. C. P. Woodcock and P. G. Larsen, editors, FME'93: Industrial-Strength Formal Methods, volume 670 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar
- [ISO93]ISO Document Number ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG19/N-20 Information Technology Programming Languages — VDM-SL First Committee Draft Standard CD 13817-1, November 1993.Google Scholar
- [LL91]P. G. Larsen and P. B. Lassen. An Executable Subset of Meta-IV with Loose Specification. In VDM '91 — Formal Software Development Methods. Springer-Verlag, October 1991.Google Scholar
- [SEC91]Office for Official Publications of the European Community. Information Technology Security Evaluation Criteria, June 1991.Google Scholar
- [WM85]P.T. Ward and S.J. Mellor. Structured Development for Real Time Systems, volume 1,2,3. Yourdon Press, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1985.Google Scholar