Dependency-directed binding of variables for constraint logic programming
Constraint Logic Programming (CLP) environments should be able to delay, if necessary, the evaluation of variables in a constraint (e.g. equation) until they become bound at some later point in processing. This paper presents a general method for supporting the automatic creation of delayed bindings in CLP environments that is applicable not only in the case of constraints but for any predicate in a logic rule as well. Consequently this method supports rule representations in CLP languages with no restrictions on the ordering of subgoals.
KeywordsKnowledge Engineering Expert Systems Architecture Deductive Databases
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Pascal van Hentenryck, Constraint Satisfaction in Logic Programming, MIT Press, 1989.Google Scholar
- P. Deransart et al. Attribute Grammars, Goos G., Hartmanis J, (eds.), Springer-Verlag, 1988.Google Scholar
- G. Papakonstantinou, C. Moraitis, T. Panayiotopoulos, An Attribute Grammar Interpreter as a Knowledge Engineering Tool, Angewandte Informatik, 9/86, pp.382–388, 1986.Google Scholar
- M. Sideri, S. Efremidis, G. Papakonstantinou, Semantically Driven Parsing of Conext-free Languages,The Computer Journal, vol.32, no.1, pp.91–93, 1989.Google Scholar
- T. Panayiotopoulos, G. Papakonstantinou, G. Stamatopoulos, An Attribute Grammar Based Theorem Prover, Information and Software Technology, vol.30, no.9, pp.553–560, November 1988.Google Scholar
- T. Panayiotopoulos, G. Papakonstantinou, N.M. Sgouros, An Attribute Grammar Interpreter for Inexact Reasoning, Information and Software Technology, vol.32, no.5, pp.347–356, June 1988.Google Scholar
- R. Floyd, The syntax of programming languages-a survey, IEEE Transactions on Electronic Computers, vol.EG-13, no.4, pp.346–353, 1964.Google Scholar
- F. Jalili, A general incremental evaluator for attribute grammars, Science of Computer Programming, vol.5, pp.83–96, 1985.Google Scholar
- K. Forbus, J. de Kleer, Building Problem Solvers,MIT Press, 1993.Google Scholar
- D. Weld, J. de Kleer (eds), Readings in Qualitative Reasoning about Physical Systems, Morgan Kaufmann, 1990.Google Scholar