Implementing open hypermedia services on top of the Postgres extended relational database management system
This paper presents the design and implementation of an open hypermedia system using the Postgres extended relational database management system. Openness, extensibility and support for views and computations are among the most important requirements set for advanced hypermedia systems. We show how these requirements can be satisfied using an open architecture and the facilities of a next-generation database management system such as Postgres.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Con87]Jeff Conklin. Hypertext: An introduction and survey. IEEE Computer, 20(9): 17–41, September 1987.Google Scholar
- [HGC]A. Hatzimanikatis, I. Gaviotis, and D. Christodoulakis. Distributed documents: An architecture for open distributed hypertext. Electronic Publishing: Origination, Dissemination and Design. Accepted for publication.Google Scholar
- [HKR+92]Bernard Haan, Paul Kahn, V.A. Riley, J.H. Coombs, and N.K. Meyrowitz. IRIS hypermedia services. Communications of the ACM, 35(1):36–51, January 1992.Google Scholar
- [Nie90]J. Nielsen. Hypertext and Hypermedia. Academic Press, New York, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Ous90]J. Ousterhout. Tcl: An embeddable command language. In Proceedings Winter USENIX Conference, pages 133–146, 1990.Google Scholar
- [Ous91]J. Ousterhout. An X11 toolkit based on the Tcl language. In Proceedings Winter USENIX Conference, pages 105–115, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Pea89]Amy Pearl. Sun's link service: A protocol for open linking. In Hypertext '89 Proceedings, pages 137–146. ACM, November 1989.Google Scholar
- [SJGP90]M. Stonebraker, A. Jhingan, J. Goh, and S. Potamianos. On rules, procedures, caching and views in database systems. In ACM-SIGMOD Conference on Management of Data, Atlantic City, 1990. ACM.Google Scholar
- [SK91]M. Stonebraker and G. Kemnitz. The POSTGRES next-generation database management system. Communications of the ACM, 34(2):78–92, 1991.Google Scholar
- [SLH93]J.L. Schnase, J.J. Leggett, and D.L. Hicks. Semantic data modeling of hypermedia associations. ACM Transactions on Information Systems, 11(1):27–50, January 1993.Google Scholar
- [WL92]U.K. Will and J.J. Leggett. Hyperform: Using extensibility to develop dynamic, open and distributed hypertext systems. In Proceedings of the European Conference on Hypertext (ECHT '92), pages 251–261, Milan, Italy, 1992.Google Scholar