TOP2 tool suite for the development and testing of parallel applications
Parallelization of sequential programs for distributed memory machines generally involves non-local modifications to the program code and automatic parallelization tools are still not available. Thus, for large applications, it is very time-consuming even to experiment with different parallelization strategies for even relatively small computational kernels. TOP2 is a programming tool for Fortran 77 developed at KFA/ZAM attacking this problem by providing a distributed environment for the development and testing of partially parallelized applications. The remaining sequential portions run on the sequential machine and the parallelized program modules execute on the distributed memory parallel system.
KeywordsProgramming Tools Parallelization Distributed-Memory Multiprocessors Scientific Applications Data Distribution
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [APR 92]Applied Parallel Research, FORGE Magic/DM (Fortran 77 Automatic Parallelizing Pre-Compiler for Distributed Memory Multi-Processor Systems) User Manual, Version 8.9, 1994Google Scholar
- [Berr 89]R. Berrendorf, Der FORTRAN-Parser PAFF als wiederverwendbares Modul für Programmier-Tools, Research Centre Jülich, Technical Report, Jül-Spez-537, 1989Google Scholar
- [DeGer 93]U. Detert, H.M. Gerndt TOP 2 Tool Suite for Partial Parallelization, Version 2.01 User's Guide, Research Centre Jülich, Internal Report, KFA-ZAM-IB-9321, 1993Google Scholar
- [GerZi 92]H.M. Gerndt, H.P. Zima, SUPERB: Experiences and Future Research, In: Languages, Compilers and Run-time Environments for Distributed Memory Machines, Editors: J. Saltz, P. Mehrotra, North-Holland 1992, pp. 1–15Google Scholar
- [HPF 93]HPFF, High Performance Fortran Language Specification, High Performance Fortran Forum, Version 1.0, Rice University Houston Texas, May 1993Google Scholar
- [HKT 91]S. Hiranandani, K. Kennedy, C. Tseng, Compiler Optimizations for Fortran D on MIMD Distributed-Memory Machines, Proceedings of the Supercomputing 91, Albuquerque, Nov. 1991, pp. 86–100Google Scholar
- [MWW 92]M. Mihelcic, H. Wenzl, K. Wingerath, Flow in Czochralski Crystal Growth Melts, Bericht des Forschungszentrums Jülich, No. 2697, ISSN 0366-0885, December 1992Google Scholar
- [Sant 91]M. Santifaller, TCP/IP and NFS Internetworking in a UNIX Environment, Addison-Wesley 1991Google Scholar
- [Sun 90]Sun Microsystems, Inc., Network Programming Guide, Part No. 800-3850-10, 1990Google Scholar