Optimal design of fault-tolerant soft-real-time systems with imprecise computations
The imprecise computation technique applied to real-time systems has been proposed for a better control of the delivered service quality when full quality service cannot be achieved because of temporary overloads or reductions of computational power. We propose a methodology for the evaluation of the service quality delivered by a fault-tolerant multiprocessor soft-real-time system which employs the imprecise computation technique, subject to a periodic workload. Such a methodology allows us to define optimization strategies whose goal is to determine the optimal trade-off between the system cost and the overall quality of the delivered service.
Keywordsreal time imprecise computation scheduling, performability optimization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Bertossi, L. Mancini “Scheduling Algorithms for Fault-Tolerance in Hard-Real-Time Systems”, TR-15/91 University of Pisa, Italy —Dept. of Computer Science-, to appear on Real-Time Systems, special issue on Responsive Computer Systems, May 1994Google Scholar
- 3.E. Cinlar, Introduction to stochastic processes, Prentice-Hall, 1975Google Scholar
- 4.S.K. Dhall, C.L. Liu, “On a Real-Time Scheduling Problem”, Operations Research, vol. 26, No. 1, January–February 1978.Google Scholar
- 6.R.A. Howard, Dynamic Probabilistic Systems, New York: Wiley, 1971.Google Scholar
- 7.J.W.S. Liu, K.-J. Lin, W.-K. Shih, A.C. Yu, J.-Y. Chung, W. Zhao, “Algorithms for scheduling imprecise computations” IEEE Computer, May 1991, pp. 58–69Google Scholar
- 8.S. Martello, P. Toth, Knapsack problems, J. Wiley & Sons, 1990Google Scholar
- 9.R. McNaughton, “Scheduling with deadlines and loss functions”, Management Science, vol. 12, no. 7, 1959Google Scholar
- 10.J.K. Muppala, S.P. Woolet, K.S. Trivedi, “Real-time-systems performance in the presence of failures”, IEEE Computer, May 1991, pp. 37–47Google Scholar
- 11.K.G. Shin, C.M. Krishna, “New performance measures for design and evaluation of real-time multiprocessors”, Computer System Science and Engineering, vol. 1, no. 4, Oct. 1986, pp. 179–192Google Scholar