Software environment for WASMII: A data driven machine with a virtual hardware
A data driven computer WASMII which exploits dynamically reconfigurable FPGAs based on a virtual hardware has been developed. This paper presents a software system which automatically generates a configuration data for FPGAs used in the WASMII. In this system, an application program is edited as a dataflow graph with a user interface, and divided into a set of subgraphs each of them is corresponding to the configuration data of an FPGA chip. These subgraphs are translated into program modules described in a hardware description language called the SFL. From the SFL programs, a logic synthesis tool PARTHENON generates a net-list of logic circuits for the subgraphs. Finally, the net-list is translated again for the Xiliux's CAD system, and the configuration data is generated. Here, the ordinary differential equation solver is presented as an example, and the number of gates is evaluated.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.XILINX Corp.: “Programmable gate array's data book”. 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Wazlowski, L. Agarwal, T. Lee, A. Smith, E. Lain, P. Athanas, H. Silverman and S. Ghosh, “PRISM-II Compiler and Architecture”, Proceedings of IEEE Workshop on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp.9–16, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.S. Casselman, “Virtual Computing and The Virtual Computer”, Proceedings of IEEE Workshop on FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp.43–59. 1993.Google Scholar
- 4.T. Sueyoshi, K. Hano, Togano and I. Arita, “An Approach to Realizing a Reconfigurable Interconnection Network Using Field Programmable Gate Arrays”, Trans. IPS Japan, No.33, pp.260–269, 1992.Google Scholar
- 5.N. Suganuma, Y. Murata, S. Nakata. S. Nagata, M. Tomita and K. Hirano, “Reconfigurable Machine and Its Application to Logic Diagnosis”, International Conf. on Computer Aided Design, pp.373–376, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Yoshimi(FUJITSU Inc.), “Multi-function programable logic device”, Japan Patent(A) Hei2-130023. 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.X.-P. Ling and H. Amano, “WASMII: a Data Driven Computer on a Virtual Hardware”, Proceedings of FPGAs for Custom Computing Machines, pp.33–42, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.X.-P. Ling and H. Amano, “Performance Evaluation of WASMII: A Data Driven Computer on a Virtual Hardware”, Proceedings of the 5th International PARLE Conference. LNCS 694, pp.610–621, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Miyazaki, H. Amano and H. Aiso, “MANJI: A parallel machine for production system”, Proceedings of the 20th Annual HICSS, pp.236–245. 1987.Google Scholar
- 10.X.-P. Ling and H. Amano, “A static scheduling system for a parallel machine (SM) 2 — II”, Proceedings of the 2nd International PARLE Conference. LNCS 365-I, pp.118–135, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.NTT Data Communication Company, Japan.: “PARTHENON Reference Manual”. 1989. “PARTHENON User's Manual”, 1990.Google Scholar