Power dissipation driven FPGA place and route under delay constraints
In this paper we address the problem of FPGA place and route for low power dissipation with critical path delay constraints. The presence of a large number of unprogrammed antifuses in the routing architecture adds to the capacitive loading of each net. Hence, a considerable amount of power is dissipated in the routing architecture due to signal transitions occurring at the output of logic modules. Based on primary input signal distributions, signal activities at the internal nodes of a circuit are estimated. Placement and routing are then carried out based on the signal activity measure so as to achieve routability with low power dissipation and required timing. Results show that more than 40% reduction in power dissipation due to routing capacitances can be achieved compared to layout based only on area and timing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Roy and S. Prasad, “Circuit Activity Based Logic Synthesis for Low Power Reliable Operations,” IEEE Trans. on VLSI Systems Dec. 1993, pp. 503–513.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Chandrakashan, S. Sheng, and R. Brodersen, “Low Power CMOS Digital Design,” IEEE Journal on Solid-State Circuits, Apr. 1992, pp. 473–484.Google Scholar
- 3.F.N. Najm, “Transition Density, A Stochastic Measure of Activity in Digital Circuits,” Design Automation Conf., 1991, pp. 644–649.Google Scholar
- 4.A. El Gammal, J. Greene, J. Reyneri, E. Rogoyski, and A. Mohsen, “An Architecture for Electrically Configurable Gate Array,” IEEE Journal of Solid State Circuits, vol. 24, Apr. 1989, pp. 394–397.Google Scholar
- 5.K. Roy, “A Bounded Search Algorithm for Segmented Channel Routing for FPGA's and Associated Channel Architecture Issues,” IEEE Trans. on Computer-Aided-Design, Nov. 1993, pp. 1695–1705.Google Scholar
- 6.C. Shaw, M. Mehendale, D. Edmondson, K. Roy, M. Raghu, D. Wilmoth, M. Harward, and A. Shah, “An FPGA Architecture Evaluation Framework,” FPGA-92 workshop, Berkeley, Feb. 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.S. Nag and K. Roy, “Iterative Wirability and Performance Improvement for FPGA's,” ACM/IEEE Design Automation Conf., 1993, pp. 321–325.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Greene, V. Roychowdhury, S. Kaptanaglu, and A. El Gammal, “Segmented Channel Routing,” Design Automation Conf., pp. 567–572, 1990.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Sechen and K. Lee, “An Improved Simulated Annealing Algorithm for Row-Based Placement,” Intl. Conf. on Computer-Aided-Design, 1987. pp. 942–995.Google Scholar
- 10.S. Ercolani, M. Favalli, M. Damiani, P. Olivio, and B. Ricco, “Estimation of signal Probability in Combinational Logic Network,” 1989 European Test Conference, pp. 132–138.Google Scholar