The application of case-based reasoning to the tasks of health care planning
This paper describes an application of case-based reasoning in the field of health care planning. The process is modelled in the FLORENCE expert system, an experimental prototype which models the reasoning of an expert clinician in advising on the three basic planning tasks of diagnosis, prognosis and prescription within a nursing domain. We have developed an empirical approach. Both rule-based and case-based reasoning are used where appropriate. It has been found that case-based reasoning is especially appropriate to situations where decisions must be made about the progress of cases over time.
KeywordsHealth Score Health Care Planning Indicator Score Pattern Score Health Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hirsch,M., Chang,B. and Gilbert,S. (1989) A computer program to support patient assessment and clinical decision making in nursing education. Computers in Nursing Vol. 7, No.4. 157–160.Google Scholar
- Roth,K., DiStefano,J. and Chang,B. (1989) CANDI: development of the automated nursing assessment tool. Computers in Nursing Vol. 7, No.5. 222–227.Google Scholar
- Chang,B., Roth,K., Gonzales,E., Caswell,D. and DiStefano,J. (1988) CANDI: a knowledge based system for nursing diagnosis. Computers in Nursing Vol. 6, No.1. 13–21.Google Scholar
- Nightingale,F. (1957) Notes on nursing. Philadelphia: Lipincott Publishing Company. (originally published, 1859)Google Scholar
- Fagan,L., Kunz,C., Feienbaum,E. and Osborn,J. (1984) Extensions to the rule-based formalism for a monitoring task in Buchanan, B and Shortliffe,E. (Eds) Rule based expert systems. Reading, Massachusetts: Addison-Wesley Pub.Co. (pp397–423)Google Scholar
- Kahn,M., Ferguson,J., Shortliffe,E. and Fagan,L. (1985) Representation and use of temporal information in ONCOCIN. in Proceedings of the Ninth Annual Symposium on Computer Appications in Medical Care (Baltimore) Nov 10–13), p.172–176.Google Scholar
- Koton,P (1988) Using experience in earning and problem solving (PhD thesis) Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Gordon,M. (1987) Nursing diagnosis: process and application (2nd edn.) New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company.Google Scholar