Resource bounded randomness and weakly complete problems
We introduce and study resource bounded random sets based on Lutz's concept of resource bounded measure ([5, 6]). We concentrate on nc-randomness (c ≥ 2) which corresponds to the polynomial time bounded (p-) measure of Lutz, and which is adequate for studying the internal and quantative structure of E = DTIME(2lin). First we show that the class of nc-random sets has p-measure 1. This provides a new, simplified approach to p-measure 1-results. Next we compare randomness with genericity (in the sense of [1, 2]) and we show that nc+1-random sets are nc-generic, whereas the converse fails. From the former we conclude thatnc-random sets are not p-btt-complete for E. Our technical main results describe the distribution of the nc-random sets under p-m-reducibility. We show that every nc-random set in E has nk-random predecessors in E for any k ≥ 1, whereas the amount of randomness of the successors is bounded. We apply this result to answer a question raised by Lutz : We show that the class of weakly complete sets has measure 1 in E and that there are weakly complete problems which are not p-btt-complete for E.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.K. Ambos-Spies, H. Fleischhack, and H. Huwig, Diagonalizing over deterministic polynomial time, in: Proc. CSL '87, Lecture Notes Comput. Sci. 329 (1988) 1–16, Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- 3.K. Ambos-Spies, H-C. Neis, and S. A. Terwijn, Genericity and measure for exponential time, (in preparation; an extended abstract appears in the Proceedings of MFCS '94, Lecture Notes Comput. Sci., Springer Verlag).Google Scholar
- 4.D. W. Juedes and J. H. Lutz, The complexity and distribution of hard problems, Tech. Rep. 92-23, Dept. Comput. Sci., Iowa State University, (1992) (submitted for publication).Google Scholar
- 6.J. H. Lutz, Almost everywhere high nonuniform complexity, J. Comp. System Sci. 44 (1992) 220–258.Google Scholar
- 7.J. H. Lutz, The quantative structure of exponential time, in: Proc. 8th Structure in Complexity Theory Conference (1993) 158–175, IEEE Comput. Sci. Press.Google Scholar
- 8.J. H. Lutz, Weakly hard problems, (preliminary version, April 1993, submitted for publication; extended abstract to appear in Proc. 9th Structure in Complexity Theory Conference, 1994).Google Scholar
- 9.J. H. Lutz and E. Mayordomo, Measure, stochasticity, and the density of hard languages, (to appear in SIAM J. Comput.).Google Scholar
- 10.P. Martin-Löf, The definition of random sequences, Information and Control 9 (1966) 602–619.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Orponen and U. Schöning, The density and complexity of polynomial cores for intractable sets, Information and Control 70 (1986) 54–68.Google Scholar
- 12.C. P. Schnorr, Zufälligkeit und Wahrscheinlichkeit, Lect. Notes Math. 218 (1971), Springer Verlag.Google Scholar