Computing all small cuts in undirected networks
Let λ(N) denote the weight of a minimum cut in an edge-weighted undirected network N, where n and m are the numbers of vertices and edges, respectively. It is known that O(n2k) is an upper bound on the number of cuts with weights less than kλ(N). We first show that all cuts of weights less than kλ(N) can be enumerated in O(mn3 + n2k+2) time without using the maximum flow algorithm. We then prove for k<4/3 that ( 2 n ) is a tight upper bound on the number of cuts of weights less than kλ(N).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.R. Bixby, The minimum number of edges and vertices in a graph with edge-connectivity n and m n-bonds, Networks, Vol.5, 1975, pp. 235–298.Google Scholar
- 2.C.J. Colbourn, The combinatorics of network reliability, Oxford University Press, New York Oxford, 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.E. Dinits, A.V. Karzanov and M.V. Lomonosov, On the structure of a family of minimal weighed cuts in a graph, Studies in Discrete Optimization (in Russian), A. A. Fridman (Ed.), Nauka, Moscow, 1976, pp. 290–306.Google Scholar
- 6.D.R. Karger, Global min-cuts in RNC, and other ramifications of a simple min-cut algorithm, Proceedings of the 4th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, 1993, pp. 21–30.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Lovász, Combinatorial Problems and Exercises, North-Holland 1979.Google Scholar
- 8.W. Mader, A reduction method for edge-connectivity in graphs, Annals of Discrete Mathematics, Vol. 3, 1978, pp. 145–164.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Nagamochi, K. Nishimura and T. Ibaraki, Computing all small cuts in undirected networks, Technical Report #94007, Kyoto University, 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.D. Naor, D. Gusfield and C. Martel, A fast algorithm for optimally increasing the edge connectivity, Proceedings 31st Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, 1990, pp. 698–707.Google Scholar
- 12.V.V. Vazirani and M. Yannakakis, Suboptimal cuts: Their enumeration, weight, and number, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 623, Springer-Verlag, 1992, pp. 366–377.Google Scholar