Separating translates in the plane: Combinatorial bounds and an algorithm
In this paper, we establish two combinatorial bounds related to the separation problem for sets of n pairwise disjoint translates of convex objects: 1) there exists a line which separates one translate from at least n — co√n translates, for some constant c that depends on the “shape” of the translates and 2) there is a function f such that there exists a line with orientation Θ or f(Θ) which separates one translate from at least ⌈3n⌉/4-4 translates, for any orientation Θ (f is defined only by the “shape” of the translate). We also present an O(n log (n+k)+k) time algorithm for finding a translate which can be separated from the maximum number of translates amongst sets of n pairwise disjoint translates of convex k-gons.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N. Alon, M. Katchalski, and W. Pulleyblank. Cutting disjoint disks by straight lines. Disc. Comp. Geom., 4:239–243, 1989.Google Scholar
- 2.M. Atallah. Some dynamic computational geometry problems. Comp. Math. Appl., 11:1171–1181, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.B. Chazelle, H. Edelsbrunner, M. Gringi, L. J. Guibas, M. Sharir, and J. Snoeyink. Ray shooting in polygons using geodesic triangulations. In Proc. of the 18th Int. Coll. on Automata, Languages and Programming, pages 661–673, 1991.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Czyzowicz, E. Rivera-Campo, and J. Urrutia. A note on separation of convex sets. To appear in Disc. Math. Google Scholar
- 5.J. Czyzowicz, E. Rivera-Campo, J. Urrutia, and J. Zaks. Separating convex sets in the plane. In Proc. of the Sec. Can. Conf. on Comp. Geom., pages 50–54, 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.J. Czyzowicz, E. Rivera-Campo, J. Urrutia, and J. Zaks. Separating convex sets in the plane. Disc. Comp. Geom., 7:189–195, 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.H. Edelsbrunner, H.A. Maurer, F.P. Preparata, A.L. Rosenberg, E. Welzl, and D. Wood. Stabbing line segments. BIT, 22:274–281, 1982.Google Scholar
- 8.H. Everett, J.-M. Robert, and M. van Kreveld. An optimal algorithm for the (≤ k)-levels, with applications to separation and transversal. In Proc. of the 9th Annual ACM Symp. on Comp. Geom., pages 38–46, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Hope and M. Katchalski. Separating plane convex sets. Math. Scand., 66:44–46, 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Katchalski, T. Lewis, and A. Liu. Geometric permutations of disjoint translates of convex sets. Disc. Math., 65:249–259, 1987.Google Scholar
- 11.T. Nishizeki and N. Chiba. Planar Graphs: Theory and Algorithms. North-Holland, 1988.Google Scholar