Simulation and analysis of a document storage system
The paper discusses the modeling and simulation of a Document Storage system using colored Petri nets and the Design/CPN tool. The system modeled is part of a system which is capable of managing and delivering documents in the range of 20 million up to 30 million documents. This corresponds to a storage capacity of 10 TB up to 15 TB. The 660 concurrent users working with the system request about 10,000 documents within one hour. The goal of this project was to develop a model of the critical parts of the system in order to identify bottlenecks and to find the right scaled hardware configuration. Special modeling techniques are needed in order to process such a large number of tokens i.e. user requests.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cherkasova, L.; Kotov, V.; Rokicki, T.: On Net Modeling of Industrial Size Concurrent Systems. LNCS 691, Proceedings of the 14th International Conference Chicago, Illinois, USA, June 21–25, Springer-Verlag 1993Google Scholar
- 2.Jensen, K.: An Introduction to High-Level Petri Nets Proceedings of the 1985 International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Kyoto 1985, IEEE, 723–726Google Scholar
- 3.Jensen, K.: Coloured Petri Nets In: EATCS Monographs on Theoretical Computer Science, Volume 1, Springer Verlag, 1992Google Scholar
- 4.Meta Software Corporation: Design/CPN Manual Cambridge, USA, 1991Google Scholar
- 5.Randy, D. Brent; James R. Gross.: A Demonstration of Alternative Approaches for an Inventory Simulation Model Oshkosh, Wisconsin, 1990Google Scholar