Approximate string matching with don't care characters
This paper presents parallel and serial approximate matching algorithms for strings with don't care characters. They are based on Landau and Vishkin's approximate string matching algorithm and Fisher and Paterson's exact string matching algorithm with don't care characters. The serial algorithm works in O(√kmn log¦Σ¦ log2m/k log log m/k) time, and the parallel algorithm works in O(k log m) time using O(√m/kn log ¦Σ¦ log m/k log log m/k) Processors on a CRCW-PRAM, where n denotes the length of a text string, m denotes the length of a pattern string, k denotes the maximum number of differences, and ∑ denotes the alphabet (i.e. the set of characters). Several extensions are also described.
Keywordsapproximate string matching don't care characters sequence analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. Abrahamson. “Genaralized string matching”. SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 16, pp. 1039–1051, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Amir and G. Landau. “Fast parallel and serial multidimensional approximate array matching”. Theoretical Computer Science, Vol. 81, pp. 97–115, 1991.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Apostolico, C. Iliopoulos, G. M. Landau, B. Schieber, and U. Vishkin. “Parallel construction of a suffix tree with applications”. Algorithmica, Vol. 3, pp. 347–365, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Branden and J. Tooze. Introduction to Protein Structure. Garland Publishing Inc., New York, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Fisher and M. Paterson. “String matching and other products”. In Complexity of Computation (SIAM-AMS Proceedings), volume 7, pp. 113–125, 1974.Google Scholar
- 6.Z. Galil and R. Giancarlo. “Data structures and algorithms for approximate string matching”. Journal of Complexity, Vol. 4, pp. 33–72, 1988.Google Scholar
- 7.Z. Galil and K. Park. “An improved algorithm for approximate string matching”. SIAM Journal on Computing, Vol. 19, pp. 989–999, 1990.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Heijne. Sequence Analysis in Molecular Biology — Treasure Trove or Trivial Pursuit. Academic Press, Inc., San Diego, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.J. JáJá. An Introduction to Parallel Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, Massachusetts, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.G. M. Landau and U. Vishkin. “Fast parallel and serial approximate string matching”. Journal of Algorithms, Vol. 10, pp. 157–169, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.U. Manber and R. Baeza-Yates. “An algorithm for string matching with a sequence of don't cares”. Information Processing Letters, Vol. 37, pp. 133–136, 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.P. Weiner. “Linear pattern matching algorithms”. In Proceedings of IEEE Symposium on Switching and Automata Theory, pp. 1–11, 1973.Google Scholar