ATMSWSIM An efficient, portable and expandable ATM SWitch SIMulator tool
The Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) has been adopted by CCITT as a world-wide standard for the Broadband Integrated Services Digital Network (B-ISDN). The Switching architectures developed for conventional circuit and packet switching cannot be directly applied to ATM. In spite of the large number of ATM switching architecture proposals, to the knowledge of the authors, there are few or none description in the literature of the simulation model and tools adopted to analyze them. Therefore the main contribution of this paper is to present and describe, with a practical point of view, a discrete event ATM SWitch SIMulator (ATMSWSIM) designed to evaluate the performance of ATM switching fabrics under different traffic and architecture parameters.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CCITT Recommendation 1.121. “Broadband Aspects of ISDN”, Blue Book, Fascicle III.7, Geneva 1989.Google Scholar
- 2.F. A. Tobagi, “Fast Packet Switch Architectures for Broadband Integrated Services Digital Networks”, Proc. of the IEEE, Vol. 78, No. 1, Jan. 1990, pp. 133–167.Google Scholar
- 3.J. F. Kurose, H. T. Mouftah, “Computer-Aided Modeling, Analysis, and Design of Communication Networks”, IEEE J. Sel. Areas on Comm., Vol. 6, No. 1, Jan. 1988, pp. 130–145.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Pattavina, “Nonblocking Architectures for ATM Switching”, IEEE Comm. Magazine, Feb. 1993, pp. 38–48.Google Scholar
- 5.X. Chen, “A Survey of Multistage Interconnection Networks in Fast Packet Switches”, International Journal of Digital and Analog Communication Systems, Vol. 4, 1991, pp. 33–59.Google Scholar
- 6.M. G. Hluchyj, M. J. Karol, “Queueing in High-Performance Packet Switching”, IEEE J. Sel. Areas on Comm., Vol. 6, No. 9, Dec. 1988, pp. 1587–1597.Google Scholar
- 7.S. K. Park, K. W. Miller, “Random Number Generators: Good Ones are Hard to Find”, Communications of the ACM, Vol. 31, No. 10, Oct. 1988, pp. 1192–1201.Google Scholar
- 8.I. W. Habib, T. N. Saadawi, “Multimedia Traffic Characteristics in Broadband Networks”, IEEE Comm. Magazine, Jul. 1992, pp. 48–54.Google Scholar
- 9.T. E. Eliazov, V. Ramaswami, W. Willinger, G. Latouche, “Performance of an ATM Switch: Simulation Stud”, in Proc. of the INFOCOM'90 Conf., San Francisco, Jun. 1990, pp. 644–659.Google Scholar
- 10.J. García-Haro, F. Fan, A. Jajszczyk, “HITIBAS — A High-Throughput Input-Buffered ATM Switch”, in Proc. of the SICON/ICIE'93 Conf., Singapore, Sep. 1993, pp. 359–363.Google Scholar
- 11.Y. Oie, M. Murata, K. Kubota, H. Miyahara, “Effect of Speedup in Nonblocking Packet Switch”, in Proc. of ICC'89 Conf., Boston, MA, June 1989, pp. 410–414.Google Scholar
- 12.J. García-Haro, C. Cervellö-Pastor, J. Paradells-Aspas, H. T. Mouftah, “Evaluation Study of Several Head-Of-Line Selection Schemes for High Performance Non-blocking ATM Switches”, in Proc. IEEE Pacific RIM'93 Conf., Victoria, B.C., Canada, May 1993, pp. 327–332.Google Scholar