Implementation of visualization tools in a distributed environment
This paper describes the implementation of a visualization system in a distributed environment, on top of a shared objects management layer, named DS2 . The DS2 library manages partitioned objects, that can be distributed over a network, or among the different processors of a parallel computer. Parts of objects can be accessed by processes having no knowledge about their actual location. It is running on CRAY supercomputers, Intel iPSC860 parallel system, as well as on Silicon Graphics and Sun workstations.
KeywordsVisualization System Shared Object Current Time Step Access Piece Parallel Virtual Machine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beguelin, A., Dongarra, J., Geist, G.A., Manchek, R., Sunderam, V.S.: A User's Guide to PVM Parallel Virtual Machine. Oak Ridge National Laboratory Internal Report. June 1992.Google Scholar
- 2.Butler, D.M., Pendley M.H.: The Visualization Management System Approach to Visualization in Scientific Computing. Computers in Physics. pp40–44. Sept/Oct 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.Causse, S., Hollard, M., Grave, M.: Experimenting Distributed Visualization with a PVM Based System. ONERA Internal Report. December 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Causse, S., Juaneda, F., Grave M.: Partitioned Objects Sharing for Visualization in Distributed Environments. in Frontiers in Data Visualization: Rosenblum and al. Eds. Academic Press. 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.Duclos, A.M., Grave M.: Reference Models and Formal Specification for Scientific Visualization. in Scientific Visualization: Advanced Software Techniques: P. Palamidese Ed. Hellis Horwood.Google Scholar
- 6.Haber, R.B., McNabb, D.A.: Visualization Idioms: A Conceptual Model for Scientific Visualization Systems. in Visualization in Scientific Computing: Nielson and al. Eds. IEEE Computer Society Press. 1990.Google Scholar
- 7.Schroeder, W.J., Lorensen, W.E., Montanaro, G.D., Volpe, C.R.: VISAGE: An Object-Oriented Scientific Visualization System. Proceedings IEEE Visualization'92 Conference. Boston, Ma. 1992Google Scholar
- 8.Upson, C., Faulbaher, T., Kamins, D, Laidlaw D., Schlegel, D., Vroom, J., Gurwitz, R., van Dam, A.: The Application Visualization System: A Computational Environment fo Scientific Visualization. IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications. Vol 9(4). July 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.The Khoros Group: Khoros Manual. Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque. March 1992.Google Scholar