A robust method for road sign detection and recognition
In this paper a robust method for detecting and recognizing road signs by vision is presented. The detection step is based on a geometrical analysis of the edges extracted from monochromatic images and is able to identify triangular and circular road signs from images of city streets, country roads and highways. A simple recognition system, which validates and classifies the detected road signs, greatly improves the reliability and the robustness of the whole system. Extensive experimentation on real images shows that road signs are usually correctly identified even in cluttered images.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aschwanden, P., Guggenbuhl, W.: Experimental Results from a Comparative Study on Correlation-type Registration Algorithms. Robust Computer Vision, Forstner & Ruwiedel, Eds. Wichmann (1992) 268–289Google Scholar
- 2.Campani M., Cappello M., Piccioli G., Reggi E., Straforini M., Torre V.: Visual Routines for Outdoor Navigation. Proc. of Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (1993) Tokio 107–112Google Scholar
- 3.Dickmanns, E.D., Zapp, A.: Autonomous High Speed Road Vehicle Guidance by Computer Vision. Tenth IFAC-Congress (1990) Munich 232–237Google Scholar
- 4.Etemadi, A.: Robust Segmentation of Edge Data. IEEE Image Processing Conference (1992) MaastrichtGoogle Scholar
- 5.Hough, P.: A Method and Means for Recognizing Complex Patterns. U.S. Patent 3,069,654, (1962)Google Scholar
- 6.Koller, D., Danilidis, D., Thorhollson, T., Nagel, N.N.: Model-Based Object Tracking in Traffic Scenes. Proc. of Second Europ. Conf. Computer Vision (1992) S. Margherita L. 437–452Google Scholar
- 7.Masaki I.: Vision-based Vehicle Guidance. (1992) Springer-VerlagGoogle Scholar
- 8.Masciangelo, S.: 3-D cues from a Single View: Detection of Elliptical Arcs and Model Based Perspective Backprojection. Proc. British Machine Vision Conf. (1990) Oxford 223–228Google Scholar
- 9.Pavlidis, T.: Algorithms for Graphics and Image Processing. Computer Science Press (1982) Rockville, MDGoogle Scholar
- 10.Straforini, M., Coelho, C., Campani, M.: Extraction of Vanishing Points from Images of Indoor and Outdoor Scenes. Int. J. of Comp. Vision 11 (1993) 91–99Google Scholar