The folded Petersen network: A new versatile multiprocessor interconnection topology
We introduce and analyze a new interconnection topology, called the n-folded Petersen network(F P n ), which is constructed by iteratively applying the cartesian product operation on the well-known Petersen graph itself. The FP n topology provides regularity, node- and edge-symmetry, optimal connectivity (and therefore maximal fault-tolerance), logarithmic diameter, modularity, and simple routing and broadcasting algorithms even in the presence of faults. With the same node-degree and connectivity, F P n has smaller diameter and accommodates more nodes than the 3n-dimensional binary hypercube.
This paper also emphasizes the versatility of FP n as a multiprocessor interconnection topology by providing embeddings of many computationally important structures such as rings, multi-dimensional meshes, hypercubes, complete binary trees, X-trees, tree machines, pyramids and dynamically evolving binary trees.
Keywordsbroadcasting tree embedding fault-tolerance hypercube interconnection network mesh Petersen graph routing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BA84]L. Bhuyan and D.P. Agrawal. Generalized hypercubes and hyperbus structures for a computer network. IEEE Transactions on Computers, C-33, pp. 323–333, 1984.Google Scholar
- [BC89]S.N. Bhatt and Jin-Yi Cai. Take a walk, grow a tree. In Proc. of the 29th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 469–478, Los Alamitos, USA, 1989.Google Scholar
- [BP89]J.C. Bermond and C. Peyrat. de bruijn and kautz networks: a competitor for the hypercube? In Hypercubes and Distributed Computers, pp. 279–293, North-Holland, 1989.Google Scholar
- [CW85]G. Chartrand and R.J. Wilson. The petersen graph. Graphs and Applications (Eds. F. Harary and J.S. Maybee), pp. 69–100, 1985.Google Scholar
- [dB46]N.G. de Bruijn. A combinatorial problem. In Proceedings, volume 49, part 20, pp. 758–764. Akademe Van Wetenschappen, 1946.Google Scholar
- [DB92]S.K. Das and A.K. Banerjee. Hyper petersen network: yet another hypercube-like topology. In Proc. of the 4th Symposium on the Frontiers of Massively Parallel Computation (Frontiers' 92), pp. 270–277, McLean, Virginia, Oct. 1992.Google Scholar
- [DGD92]S.K. Das,J. Ghosh, and N. Deo. Stirling networks: a versatile combinatorial topology for multiprocessor systems. Discrete Applied Mathematics, 37/38, special double volume on interconnection networks, pp. 119–146, Jul. 1992.Google Scholar
- [DÖ92]S.K. Das and S. Öhring. Embeddings of tree-related topologies in hyper Petersen networks. Tech. Rep. CRPDC-92-16, Univ. North Texas, Univ. Würzburg, Sep. 1992.Google Scholar
- [GP91]E. Ganesan and D.K. Pradhan. The hyper-de bruijn multiprocessor networks. In Proc. Conf. on Distributed Computing Systems, pp. 492–499, Arlington, TX, May 1991.Google Scholar
- [Lei92]F.T. Leighton. Introduction to Parallel Algorithms and Architectures: Arrays — Trees — Hypercubes. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Mateo, CA, 1992.Google Scholar
- [LNRS89]F.T. Leighton, M. Newmann, A.G. Ranade, and E. Schwabe. Dynamic tree embeddings in butterflies and hypercubes. In Proc. of the 1989 ACM Symposium on Parallel Algorithms and Architectures, pp. 224–234, Santa Fe, NM, Jun. 1989.Google Scholar
- [MS90]B. Monien and H. Sudborough. Embedding one interconnection network in another. In Computational Graph Theory, pp. 257–282, Wien, 1990. Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- [ÖD93a]S. Öhring and S.K. Das. Dynamic embeddings of trees and quasi-grids into hyper-de bruijn networks,. In Proc. of the 7th International Parallel Processing Symposium, Newport Beach, CA, pp. 519–523, Apr. 1993.Google Scholar
- [ÖD93b]S. Öhring and S.K. Das. The folded Petersen cube networks: new competitors for the hypercube. to appear in Proc. of the Fifth IEEE Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing, Dallas, TX, Dec. 1993.Google Scholar
- [ÖD93c]S. Öhring and S.K. Das. The folded Petersen network: a new communication-efficient multiprocessor topology. In Proc. of the 1993 International Conference on Parallel Processing, Volume I, pp. 311–314, St. Charles, IL, Aug. 1993.Google Scholar
- [ÖD93d]S. Öhring and S.K. Das. Folded Petersen Cube Network: New Competitors for the Hypercubes. Tech. Rep. CRPDC-93-8, Univ. Würzburg, Univ. North Texas, Jun. 1993.Google Scholar
- [ÖD93e]S. Öhring and S.K. Das. Mapping dynamic data structures on product networks. Tech. Rep. CRPDC-93-5, Univ. Wüzburg, Univ. North Texas, Mar. 1993.Google Scholar
- [ÖD93f]S. Öhring and S.K. Das. Optimal communication primitives on the folded Petersen networks. Tech. Rep. CRPDC-93-13, Univ. Würzburg, Univ. North Texas, Sep. 1993.Google Scholar
- [Öhr92]S. Öhring. Dynamic embeddings of trees into de Bruijn graphs. In Proc. Second Joint International Conference on Vector and Parallel Processing, CONPAR 92-VAPPV, Lyon, France, Sep. 1992. LNCS 634, pp. 783–784, 1992.Google Scholar