A computational model for generic graph functions
The generic graph machine, a Turing machine-like computation model for generic graph functions, is introduced. A configuration of this machine consists of a number of machine instances that each are in a state and point to two nodes of a graph. During the execution of a step, the machine instances perform in parallel a local transformation on the graph and are each replaced by a number of other machine instances. It is proved that the generic graph machines express a large and natural class of generic graph functions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AV91]S. Abiteboul and V. Vianu. Generic computation and its complexity. In Proceedings 23rd ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pages 209–219, 1991.Google Scholar
- [AU79]A.V. Aho and J.D. Ullman. Universality of data retrieval languages. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, pages 110–120, 1979.Google Scholar
- [AGP+92]M. Andries, M. Gemis, J. Paredaens, I. Thyssens, and J. Van den Bussche. Concepts for graph-oriented object manipulation. In A. Pirotte, C. Delobel, and G. Gottlob, editors, Advances in Database Technology-EDBT'92, volume 580 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 21–38. Springer-Verlag, 1992.Google Scholar
- [DV91]K. Denninghoff and V. Vianu. The power of methods with parallel semantics. In Proceedings 17th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pages 221–232, 1991.Google Scholar
- [EKR90]H. Ehrig, H.-J. Kreowski, and G. Rozenberg, editors. Graph-Grammars and Their Application to Computer Science, volume 532 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- [GPVdBVG]M. Gyssens, J. Paredaens, Jan Van den Bussche, and Dirk Van Gucht. A graph-oriented object database model. To appear in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering.Google Scholar
- [GPVG90a]M. Gyssens, J. Paredaens, and D. Van Gucht. A graph-oriented object database model. In Proceedings of the Ninth ACM Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pages 417–424. ACM Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- [GPVG90b]M. Gyssens, J. Paredaens, and D. Van Gucht. A graph-oriented object database model for database end-user interfaces. In H. Garcia-Molina and H.V. Jagadish, editors, Proceedings of the 1990 ACM SIGMOD International Conference on Management of Data, number 19∶2 in SIGMOD Record, pages 24–33. ACM Press, 1990.Google Scholar
- [VdBVGAG92]J. Van den Bussche, D. Van Gucht, M. Andries, and M. Gyssens. On the completeness of object-creating query languages. In Proceedings 33rd Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pages 372–379. IEEE Computer Society Press, 1992.Google Scholar
- [vR92]J. van Rossum. Master's thesis, Technical University of Eindhoven, 1992. (in Dutch).Google Scholar