Feistel type authentication codes
In this paper we generalise Luby-Rackoff construction of pseudorandom permutation generators to generalised invertible function generators and prove that if there exits a generalised pseudorandom function generator then there exist a generalised pseudorandom invertible generator. This construction is then used for a pseudorandom authentication code which offers provable security against T-fold chosen plaintext/ciphertext attack and provable perfect protection against strong spoofing of order T. The performance of the code is compared with that of a code obtained from a Feistel type permutation generator. The code, called Feistel type A-code, provides a new approach to the design of practically good A-codes and hence is of high practical significance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G.J. Simmons, Authentication theory/coding theory, in Advances in Cryptology, Proceedings of Crypto 84, Springer-Verlag (Berlin), 1985, pp. 411–431.Google Scholar
- 2.G.J. Simmons, A game theory model of digital message authentication, Congressus Numerantium, 34(1982), pp. 413–424.Google Scholar
- 3.D.R. Stinson, A construction for authentication/secrecy codes from certain combinatorial designs, in Advances in Cryptology: Proceedings of Crypto 87, Springer-Verlag (Berlin), 1988, pp. 355–366.Google Scholar
- 5.M. De Soete, Some constructions for authentication-secrecy codes, in Advances in Cryptology: Eurocrypt '88, Springer-Verlag (Berlin), pp. 57–76.Google Scholar
- 6.M. De Soete, Bounds and constructions for authentication-secrecy codes, in Advances in Cryptology: Crypto '88, Springer-Verlag (Berlin), pp. 311–317.Google Scholar
- 7.G.J. Simmons, A survey of information authentication, Proceedings of IEEE, pp. 603–620, 1988, Vol. 76, No. 5.Google Scholar
- 9.J. Pieprzyk and R. S. Safavi-Naini, Pseudorandom authentication systems, Abstarcts of Eurocrypt '91, Brighton.Google Scholar
- 11.O. Goldreich, S. Goldwasser and S. Micalli, How to construct random functions, in Proceedings of the 25th Annual Symposium on Foundation of Computer Science, October 24–26, 1984.Google Scholar
- 12.L. A. Levin, One-way functions and pseudorandom generators, in Proceedings of the 17th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, Providence, RI, 1985, pp. 33—365.Google Scholar
- 13.Y. Zheng, T. Matsumoto and H. Imai, Impossibility and optimality results on constructing permutations, in Abstracts of Eurocrypt '89, Houthalen, Belgium, April 1989.Google Scholar
- 14.J. Pieprzyk, How to construct pseudorandom permutations from single pseudorandom functions, in Abstarcts of Eurocrypt '90, Aarhus, Denmark, May 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.J. L. Massey, Cryptography-a selective survey, Digital Communications, Elsvier Science Publishers, 1986, pp. 3–21.Google Scholar