Preliminary formalization of an incremental hierarchical constraint solver
This paper presents a first formalization of an incremental method to solve hierarchies of constraints over finite domains, which borrows techniques developed in intelligent backtracking, and finds locally-predicate-better solutions. A prototype implementation of this method, IHCS, was written in C and can be integrated with different programming environments. In particular, with Prolog producing an instance of an HCLP language. Possible applications of IHCS are briefly illustrated with a time-tabling and a set covering problem.
KeywordsIncremental Constraint Solving Hierarchical Constraints CLP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Barahona and R. Ribeiro. Building an Expert Decision Support System: The Integration of AI and OR methods. In Martin Schader and Wolfgang Gaul, editors, Knowledge, Data and Computer-Assisted Decisions, chapter 3, pages 155–168. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg, 1990.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Borning, M. Maher, A. Martingale, and M. Wilson. Constraints hierarchies and logic programming. In Levi and Martelli, editors, Logic Programming: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference, pages 149–164, Lisbon, Portugal, June 1989. The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Codognet and P. Codognet. Non-deterministic Stream AND-Parallelism based on Intelligent Backtracking. In Proceedings of 6th ICLP, Lisbon, 1989. The MIT press.Google Scholar
- 4.C. Codognet, P. Codognet, and G. Filé. Yet Another Intelligent Backtracking Method. In Proceedings of 5th ICLP/SLP, Seattle, 1988.Google Scholar
- 5.William S. Havens. Intelligent Backtracking in the Echidna Constraint Logic Programming System. Research Report CSS-IS TR 92-12, Simon Fraser University, Canada, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.Vipin Kumar. Algorithms for Constraint-Satisfaction-Problems: A Survey. AI Magazine, pages 32–44, Spring 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.Alan K. Mackworth. Consistency in Networks of Relations. Artificial Intelligence, 8:99–118, 1977.Google Scholar
- 8.F. Menezes and P. Barahona. Report on IHCS. Research report, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.F. Menezes, P. Barahona, and P. Codognet. An Incremental Hierarchical Constraint Solver Applied to a Time-tabling Problem. In Proceedings of Avignon 93, May 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.Luis Moniz Pereira and M. Bruynooghe. Deduction Revision by Intelligent Back tracking. In Implementations of Prolog, pages 194–215. J.A. Campbell, 1984.Google Scholar
- 11.P. Van Hentenryck, Y. Deville, and C.-M. Teng. A Generic Arc Consistency Algorithm and its Specializations. Technical Report RR 91-22, K.U. Leuven, F.S.A., December 1991.Google Scholar
- 12.M. Wilson and A. Borning. Extending Hierarchical Constraint Logic Programming: Nonmonotonocity and Inter-Hierarchy Comparison. In Proceedings of the North American Conference 1989, 1989.Google Scholar