Strictness properties of lazy algebraic datatypes
A new construction of a finite set of strictness properties for any lazy algebraic datatype is presented. The construction is based on the categorical view of the solutions to the recursive domain equations associated with such types as initial algebras. We then show how the initial algebra induction principle can be used to reason about the entailment relation on the chosen collection of properties. We examine the lattice of properties given by our construction for the type nlist of lazy lists of natural numbers and give proof rules which extend the conjunctive strictness logic of  to a language including the type nlist.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. N. Benton. Strictness Analysis of Lazy Functional Programs. PhD thesis, Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, December 1992.Google Scholar
- P. N. Benton. Strictness logic and polymorphic invariance. In A. Nerode and M. Taitslin, editors, Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Logical Foundations of Computer Science, Tver, Russia, volume 620 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 33–44. Springer-Verlag, July 1992.Google Scholar
- G. L. Burn. Lazy Functional Languages: Abstract Interpretation and Compilation. Research Monographs in Parallel and Distributed Computing. MIT Press, Cambridge, Mass., 1991.Google Scholar
- G. L. Burn, C. L. Hankin, and S. Abramsky. The theory and practice of strictness analysis for higher-order functions. Science of Computer Programming, 7:249–278, 1986.Google Scholar
- C. Ernoult and A. Mycroft. Uniform ideals and strictness analysis. In Proceedings of ICALP 91. Springer-Verlag, 1991.Google Scholar
- T. P. Jensen. Strictness analysis in logical form. In Proceedings of the 1991 Conference on Functional Programming Languages and Computer Architecture, 1991.Google Scholar
- D. Lehmann and M. Smyth. Algebraic specification of data types: A synthetic approach. Math. Systems Theory, 14, 1981.Google Scholar
- M. B. Smyth and G. D. Plotkin. The category-theoretic solution of recursive domain equations. SIAM Journal of Computing, 11, 1982.Google Scholar
- P. Wadler. Strictness analysis on non-flat domains (by abstract interpretation over finite domains). In S. Abramsky and C. L. Hankin, editors, Abstract Interpretation of Declarative Languages, chapter 12, pages 266–275. Ellis Horwood Ltd., 1987.Google Scholar