A highly-customisable schema meta-visualisation system for object-oriented (O-O) database schemas - overview
Many researchers have addressed the problem of reverse-engineering a relational database schema to produce an Entity Relationship graphical representation of its structure. This paper describes the development of a schema meta-visualisation system for O-O database schemas, which processes a textual schema to generate a relevant graphical representation (view) of the schema. This system is designed to be highly customisable as it employs a common internal intermediate schema representation, generalised object meta-knowledge and flexible meta-translation techniques in the production of the graphical views. Thus it can produce a wide range of types of visualisation (graphical view) from the structural components and semantic contents of a wide range of types of textual O-O database schema.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Carey, D. DeWitt: An Overview of the EXODUS Project, in Google Scholar
- 2.P. Chen:The Entity-Relationship Model: Towards a Unified View of Data. ACM TODS 1(1), 1976Google Scholar
- 3.B. David, G. Jane: Distributed Database Systems. Addison-Wesley, 1992Google Scholar
- 4.R. Elmasri, S. Navathe: Fundamentals of Database Systems. Benjamin Cummings, 1989Google Scholar
- 5.D.I. Howells, N.J. Fiddian, W.A. Gray: A Source-to-Source Meta-Translation System for Relational Query Languages. Proceedings of 13th VLDB Conference, 1987Google Scholar
- 6.ONTOS Reference Manual. Ontologic Inc., Massachusetts, 1989Google Scholar
- 7.M. Ozsu, P. Valduriez: Principles of Distributed Database Systems. Prentice-Hall, 1991Google Scholar
- 8.A. Ramfos, N.J. Fiddian, W.A. Gray: A Meta-Translation System for Object-Oriented to Relational Schema Translation. Proceedings of 9th British National Conference On Databases, 1991Google Scholar
- 9.J. Rumbaugh, et al: Object-Oriented Modelling and Design. Prentice-Hall, 1991Google Scholar
- 10.A. Sheth, J. Larson, A. Cornelio, S. Navathe: A Tool for Integrating Conceptual Schemas and User Views. Proceedings of 4th International Conference on Data Engineering, 1988Google Scholar
- 11.P. Sheth, J. Larson: Federated Database Systems for Managing Distributed, Heterogeneous, and Autonomous Databases. ACM Computing Surveys 22(3), 1990Google Scholar
- 12.M. Stonebraker, et al: The Implementation of POSTGRES. IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, March 1990Google Scholar
- 13.S. Zdonik, D. Mair: Readings in Object-Oriented Database Systems. Morgan Kaufmann, 1990Google Scholar