An object-oriented implementation for a semantic system (CANDID)
CANDID is the name of a project that has for goal the definition and the implementation of a graphical interface for database manipulation. It is based on a conceptual semantic model. This paper deals with the implementation which is achieved through an object oriented kernel. This kernel is based on a uniform model with one kind of objects and one kind of control structures. To facilitate the development, the kernel is enriched by a multiwindowing graphical toolbox and an extended set of algebraic operators.
Keywordsgraphical query language semantic model graphical interface object-oriented database persistence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abiteboul S., Grumbach S., “Bases de données et objets structurés”, Technique et Science Informatiques, Vol. 6, No. 5, 1987.Google Scholar
- 2.Cointe P., “Metaclasses are first class: the ObjVlisp Model”, in Proceedings of the 2nd OOPSLA, Orlando, Florida, 1987.Google Scholar
- 3.Davist J. P., Bonnell R.D., “Modeling semantics with concept abstraction in the EARL data model”, Proc. of the Entity-Relationship Approach, November 1989.Google Scholar
- 4.Fishman D.H. and al, “Iris: An object-oriented database management system”, in Readings in Object-Oriented Database Systems, Morgan Kaufman Publishers, 1990.Google Scholar
- 5.Hull R., King R., “Semantic database modeling: survey, applications, and research issues”, ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 19, No. 3, September 1987.Google Scholar
- 6.Maier D. and al., “Developpement of an object-oriented DBMS”, ACM/SIGPLAN New-York 1986, OOPSLA '86 Proceedings, September 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.Peckman J., Maryanski F., “Semantic Data Models”, ACM Computing Surveys, Vol. 20, No. 3, September 1988.Google Scholar
- 8.Potter W. D., Trueblood R. P., “Traditional, Semantic, and Hyper-Semantic Approaches to Data Modeling”, Computer, June 1988.Google Scholar
- 9.Schneider M., Trepied C., “A graphical Query Language for Semantic Data Models”, Proc. of the 10th Annual International Conference on Information Systems, Boston, Massachusetts, December 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Spaccapiettra S., Parent C., “Enhancing the operational semantics of the entity-relationship model”, Database Semantics, IFIP, 1986.Google Scholar
- 11.Sugiyama K., Tagawa S., Toda M., “Methods for visual understanding of hierarchical system structures”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 11, No. 2, February 1981.Google Scholar
- 12.Tamassia R., Battista G.D., Batini C., “Automatic graph drawing and readability of diagrams”, IEEE transactions on systems, man, and cybernetics, Vol. 18, No. 1, January/February 1988.Google Scholar