GemCode: An expert system generating mnemonic codes for data elements and data items
Databases are a widely prevalent technology in today's industries and are not without problems. One of the major problems in managing data has been the problem of synonyms and various ways of abbreviating data elements and data items. ANSI has formed numerous committees to address such issues. In cooperation with the ANSI X3L8 Committee, we have designed and implemented GemCode, an expert system which generates mnemonic codes in an effort to standardize naming of data elements and data items. An initial prototype is presented and discussed. The GemCode has been implemented in KnowledgePro expert system shell.
KeywordsDatabase Expert System Standard Mnemonic Code Data Elements Data Items
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. J. Newton. Guide on Data Entity Naming Conventions, NBS Special Publication 500-149, October 1987.Google Scholar
- J. J. Newton. “Designing Data Entity naming Conventions,” Proc. of the Sixth Int'l Conf. on ER Approach, S.T. March (Ed.), Nov. 9–11, 1987, New York, NY, pp. 407–417.Google Scholar
- T. Salin. “What's in a Name?,” Database Programming & Design, Vol. 3., No. 3, March 1990, pp. 55–58.Google Scholar
- I.-Y. Song and D. Brunk. “Data Element Designer: an Expert System Front-end for Data Repositories.” In Proceedings of 29th Annual Technical Symposium of Washington D.C. Chapter of ACM on Advanced Information Interfaces: Making Data Accessible, Gaithersburg, MD, June 1991, pp. 39–48.Google Scholar
- I.-Y. Song and H. M. Godsey. Final report on GemCode: an Expert System Generating Mnemonic Codes for Data Elements and Data Items. Final report to ANSI X3L8 Committee, October 1992.Google Scholar
- S. Spaccapietra and C. Parent. “Conflicts and Correspondence Assertions in Interoperable Databases.” SIGMOD Record, 20(4):49–54, December 1991.Google Scholar
- Information Processing System Technical Report. Information Resource Dictionary System Support for Naming Convention Verification. American National Standard Committee X3.Information Processing System. X3/TR-11-92, 1992.Google Scholar
- X3L8 Working Paper, “A Standard for the Generation of Mnemonic Codes for Data Elements and Data Types.” ANSI Working Paper on X3 Project 455-D, 1992.Google Scholar
- C. Yu, B. Jia, W. Sun and S. Dao. “Determining Relationships Among Names in Heterogeneous Databases.” SIGMOD Record, 20(4): 79–80, December 1991.Google Scholar