Printed text segmentation using distance transform
In this paper, two new algorithms to segment printed text into words and strings using direct and reverse distance transformation are presented. It is supposed that an original image does not contain graphics. The text segmentation into words and strings is performed on the basis of different threshold values, which either are determined a priori or calculated automatically.The segmentation result does not depend on a character size and a font type. It is defined by using distances between the neighbouring strings and the neighbouring words in the same string.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.Y.Wong, R.G.Casey, F.M.Wahl, Document analysis system, IBM J. Res. Develop., vol.26, no.6, pp.647–655, 1982.Google Scholar
- 2.J.L.Fisher, S.C.Hinds, D.P.D'Amato, A rule-based system for document image segmentation, Proc. 10th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Roma, Italy, 1990, pp. 567–572.Google Scholar
- 3.O.Iwaki, H.Kida, H.Arakawa, A segmentation method based on office document hierarchical structure, Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Syst. Man. Cybern., Alexandria, VA, USA, 1987, pp. 759–763.Google Scholar
- 4.G.Nagy, S.C.Seth, S.D.Stoddard, Document analysis with an expert system, Proc. ACM Conf. Document Processing Systems, Santa Fe, NM, USA, 1988, pp. 169–176.Google Scholar
- 5.L.A.Fletcher, R.Kasturi, A robust algorithm for text string separation from mixed text/graphics images, IEEE Trans. on PAMI, Vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 910–918, 1988.Google Scholar
- 6.G.Borgefors, Distance transformations in digital images, Comput. Vision, Graphics Image Process, Vol. 34, pp. 344–371, 1986.Google Scholar
- 7.E.Thiel, A.Montanvert, Chamfer masks: discrete distance functions, geometrical properties and optimization, Proc. 11th IAPR Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Hague, the Netherlands, 1992, Vol. 4, pp. 244–247.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Arcelli, G. Sanniti di Baja, Note “Finding local maxima in a pseudo-eclidean distance transform”, Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing, Vol. 43, pp. 361–367, 1988.Google Scholar
- 9.V.Starovoitov, S.Ablameyko, S.Ishikawa, E.Kawaguchi, Binary texture border extraction on line-drawings based on distance transform. To be publushed in Pattern Recognition, 1993.Google Scholar
- 10.D.M.Rogers, Procedural elements for computer graphics, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1985.Google Scholar