Analytical results on the Quadtree storage-requirements
An analysis of the expected size occupied by a Quadtree is presented. The analysis is based on the general assumption that the storage requirements of internal and external nodes differ. Besides, formulae for the expected number of internal and external nodes at a specific level of the tree are given. Next, the space efficiency of the most popular Quadtree implementations is examined. Finally, the possible usefulness of these analytical tools in other problems is commented.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Burton, F.W., Kollias, V.J., Kollias, J.G.: Expected and worst-case storage requirements for Quadtrees. Pattern Recognition Letters 3 (2) (1985) 131–135Google Scholar
- 2.Cheiney, J.P., Tourir, A.: FI-Quadtree: a new data structure for content-oriented retrieval and fuzzy search. Proceedings, 2nd Symposium on Spatial Databases (SSD), Zurich, (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Faloutsos, C.: Analytical results on the Quadtree decomposition of arbitrary rectangles. Pattern Recognition Letters 13 (1) (1992) 31–40Google Scholar
- 4.Finkel, R.A., Bentley, J.L.: Quad trees: a data structure for retrieval on composite keys. Acta Informatica 4 (1) (1974) 1–9Google Scholar
- 5.Gargantini, I.: An effective way to represent Quadtrees. Communications of the ACM 25 (12) (1982) 905–910Google Scholar
- 6.Kawaguchi, E., Endo, T.: On a method of binary picture representation and its application to data compression. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 2 (1) (1980) 27–35Google Scholar
- 7.Mathieu, C., Puech, C., Yahia, H.: Average efficiency of data structures for binary image processing. Information Processing Letters 26 (2) (1987) 89–93Google Scholar
- 8.Papoulis, A.: Probabilities, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes. McGraw-Hill, Singapore, (1984)Google Scholar
- 9.Samet, H.: The Quadtree and related hierarchical data structures. ACM Computing Surveys 16 (2) (1984) 187–260Google Scholar
- 10.Ang, C., Samet, H.: Node distribution in a PR Quadtree. Proceedings, 1st Symposium on Spatial Databases (SSD), Santa Barbara, (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Vassilakopoulos, M., Manolopoulos, Y., Economou, K.: Overlapping Quadtrees for the representation of similar images. To appear in Image and Vision ComputingGoogle Scholar
- 12.Vassilakopoulos, M., Manolopoulos, Y.: Efficiency analysis of overlapped Quadtrees. Submitted in GVGIP: Graphical Models and Image ProcessingGoogle Scholar
- 13.Vassilakopoulos, M., Manolopoulos, Y.: Analytical results on the Quadtree storage-requirements. Internal Report, Div. of Electronics and Computer Engineering, Department of Electrical Engineering, Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, (1992)Google Scholar