Detecting corners of polygonal and polyhedral objects
In this paper, we proposed a novel corner detection algorithm, based on statistical properties of corners, to detect corners of both polygonal and polyhedral objects. By means of local histogram analysis, we first bilevel the subimage within a circular window, then compute the intensity mean for the bileveled subimage. From the intensity mean we can estimate the corner angle. We then calculate the theoretical position variance from the estimated angle. Comparing the position variance from the bileveled subimage with its theoretical value, we can identify whether or not the pixel at the center of the subimage is a corner. Finally, the corner orientation can be obtained from the position mean.
Our algorithm can detect corners of both polygons and polyhedra, even if they appear in an image at the same time. It is superior to conventional detection algorithms that it can detect corners over a large range of angles.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. T. Barnard, W. B. Thompson: Disparity analysis of images. PAMI 2 (1980) 333–340Google Scholar
- 2.J. Q. Fang, T. S. Huang: A corner finding algorithm for image analysis and registraction. Amer. Ass. Artif. Intell. Nat. Conf. Pittsburgh, PA. (1982)Google Scholar
- 3.B. Bhanu, O. D. Fauugeras: Shape matching of two-dimensional objects. PAMI 6 (1985) 137–156Google Scholar
- 4.W. K. Gu, Thomass S. Huang: Connected line drawing extraction from perspective view of a polyhedron. PAMI 7 (1985) 422–430Google Scholar
- 5.K. C. Hung, R. N. Chiou, C. N. Shyi, J. Y. Lee, C. H. Chen: Polyhedron reconstruction using three-view analysis. Pattern Recognition 22 (1989) 231–246Google Scholar
- 6.R. N. Chiou, K. C. Hung, J. K. Guo, C. H. Chen, T. I Fan, J. Y. Lee: Polyhedron recognition using three-Vvew analysis. Pattern Recognition 25 (1992) 1–16Google Scholar
- 7.Herbert Freeman, Larry S. Davis: A corner-finding algorithm for chain-coded curves. IEEE Trans. on Computers (1977) 297–303Google Scholar
- 8.Gerard Medioni and Yoshio Yasumoto: Corner detection and curve representation using cubic B-splines. CVGIP 39 (1987) 267–278Google Scholar
- 9.Hideo Ogawa: Corner detection on digital curves based on local symmetry of the shape. Pattern Recognition 22 (1989) 351–357Google Scholar
- 10.Hong-Chih Liu, M. D. Srinath: Corner detection from chain-code. Pattern Recognition 23 (1990) 51–68Google Scholar
- 11.Les Kitchen, Azriel Rosenfeld: Gray-level corner detection. Pattern Recognition Letters 1 (1982) 95–102Google Scholar
- 12.Oscar A. Zuniga, Robert M. Haralick: Corner detection using the facet model. Proc. Comput. Vision Pattern Recognition (1983) 30–37Google Scholar
- 13.Huang Zhen Hua, Yu Qian: A direct corner detecting algoithm. IEEE 8th ICPR, Paris, (1986) 853–855Google Scholar
- 14.Rajiv Mehrotra, Sanjay Nichani: Corner detection. Pattern Recognition 23 (1990) 1223–1233Google Scholar
- 15.R. N. Chiou, K. C. Hung, C. N. Shyi, J. Y. Lee, C. H. Chen: Corner area detection. IEEE 1st ICIP'89, Singapore (1989) 74–77Google Scholar
- 16.Song-Tyang Liu, Wen-Hsiang Tsai: Moment-preserving corner detection. Pattern Recognition 23 (1990) 441–460Google Scholar