Error diffusion in Block Truncation Coding
A comparative experimental study of several modifications for Block Truncation Coding (BTC) method of gray scale image compression is presented. Two aspects of image processing are considered: blocking and quantization. For blocking three approaches are chosen: standard partition of image array into 4×4 squared blocks, random shifting of partition origin in consecutive lines of 4×4 blocks, and the partition into 16 element blocks along the generalized Hilbert scan of the image. For the quantization standard BTC binarization technique is augmented by the error diffusion in the raster block scan and in the Hilbert scan too. Experiments were conducted on 12 standard images scanned at 300 dpi and visually evaluated on screens with both 100 and 50 pixels per inch. Six quality objective measures were used: mean squared error MSE, percentage of normalized mean squared error NMSE, signal to noise ratio SNR, range to noise ratio SNR', Hosaka plot's mean area AM, and Hosaka plot's standard deviation area AS.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Campbell, T.A. DeFanti, J. Frederiksen, S.A. Joyce, A.L. Lawrence, J.A. Lindberg, D.J. Sandin (1986) Two bit/pixel full color encoding, Computer Graphics, 20:4, 215–223.Google Scholar
- 2.E.J. Delp and O.R. Mitchell (1979) Image compression using block truncation coding, IEEE Trans. on Communication, 27:9, 1335–1342.Google Scholar
- 3.P.M. Farrelle (1990) Recursive block coding for image data compression, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- 4.R.W. Floyd and L. Steinberg (1975) An adaptive algorithm for spatial grey scale, SID 75 Digest, Society for Information Display, 36–37.Google Scholar
- 5.L.M. Goldshlager (1981) Short algorithms for space filling curves, Software-Practice and Experience, 11, 99–100.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Hilbert (1891) Ueber die stetige Abbildung einer Linie auf ein Flaechenstueck, Mathematische Annalen, 38, 459–460.Google Scholar
- 7.K. Hosaka (1986) A new picture quality evaluation method, Proc. International Picture Coding Symposium, April, Tokyo.Google Scholar
- 8.A.K. Jain (1989) Fundamentals of digital image processing, Prentice-Hall International Inc.Google Scholar
- 9.A. Kruger (1992) Block truncation compression, Dr. Dobb's Journal, April, 48–55, 104–107 (BTC program listing).Google Scholar
- 10.O.R. Mitchell and E.J.Delp (1980) Multilevel graphics representation using block truncation coding, Proceedings of the IEEE, 68:7, 868–873.Google Scholar
- 11.W. Skarbek (1992) Generalized Hilbert curve in image printing, Proc. of 2nd Seminar on Computer Vision in Buckow, Germany, March 1992, 47–58.Google Scholar
- 12.Zheng Zhong (1989) Block truncation coding using random block shifts, Reports of Imaging Science and Technology Laboratory, Tokyo Institute of Technology.Google Scholar