An OR parallel Prolog model for distributed memory systems
This paper shows a multisequential model to exploit OR parallelism on distributed memory systems. It presents an implementation of the incremental copy mechanism oriented to distributed systems and a novel distributed scheduler is also proposed. WAM modifications to support the proposed model are very simple. The system has been implemented on a 16 processor multicomputer based on transputers. It has been obtained very good performance results with an overhead around 6% and a speed-up comparable to the most known multisequential models for shared memory systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ali, K. Karlsson, R. “The Muse Or-Parallel Prolog Model and its Performance”. NACLP 90. pp 757–776.Google Scholar
- Baron, U. Ratcliffe, M. Syre, J. “The Parallel ECRC Prolog System PEPSys: An Overview and Evaluation Results”. Proc. Int. Conf. on Fith Gen. Comp. Sys. 1988. ICOT 1988.Google Scholar
- Ciepielewski, A. Haridi, S. “A formal model for OR parallel execution of logic programs”. IFIP 1983.Google Scholar
- Conery, J.S. “AND Paralelism and Nondeterminism in Logic Programs”. New Generation Computing. 1985.Google Scholar
- Kaesuk, P. “A Parallel Prolog Abstract Machine and its Multi-Transputer Implementation”. The Computer Journal, Vol 34, No. 1. 1991.Google Scholar
- Lusk, E. Warren, D. Haridi, S. “The Aurora Or-Parallel Prolog System”. University of Bristol. TR-90-07.Google Scholar
- Warren, D.H.D. “An Abstract Prolog Instruction Set”. Technical Note 309, SRI International, 1983.Google Scholar
- Warren, D.H.D. “Or-Parallel Execution Models of Prolog”, TAPSOFT '87, Springer Verlag, LNCS 250.Google Scholar
- Warren, D.H.D. “The SRI-model for Or-Parallel Execution of Prolog — Abstract Design and Implementation Issues”. 1987 IEEE Int. Symp. in Logic Prog., San Francisco.Google Scholar
- Zhang, K. Thomas, R. “DIALOG — A dataflow model for parallel execution of logic programs”. Future Generation Computer Systems. North Holland 1991.Google Scholar
- Tick, E. “Parallel Logic Programming”. The MIT Press.1991.Google Scholar