Spirality of orthogonal representations and optimal drawings of series-parallel graphs and 3-planar graphs (extended abstract)
An orthogonal drawing of a graph is a planar drawing such that all the edges are polygonal chains of horizontal and vertical segments. Finding the planar embedding of a planar graph such that its orthogonal drawing has the minimum number of bends is a fundamental open problem in graph drawing. This paper provides the first partial solution to the problem. It gives a new combinatorial characterization of orthogonal drawings based on the concept of spirality and provides a polynomial-time algorithm for series-parallel graphs and biconnected 3-planar graphs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- P. Bertolazzi, R.F. Cohen, G. Di Battista, R. Tamassia, and I.G. Tollis, “How to Draw a Series-Parallel Digraph,” Proc. 3rd Scandinavian Workshop on Algorithm Theory, 1992.Google Scholar
- G. Di Battista and R. Tamassia “Incremental Planarity Testing,” Proc. 30th IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Sciene, pp. 436–441, 1989.Google Scholar
- G. Di Battista and R. Tamassia “On Line Planarity Testing,” Technical Report CS-89-31, Dept. of Computer Science, Brown Univ. 1989.Google Scholar
- P. Eades and R. Tamassia, “Algorithms for Automatic Graph Drawing: An Annotated Bibliography,” Technical Report CS-89-09, Dept. of Computer Science, Brown Univ. 1989.Google Scholar
- S. Even “Graph Algoritms,” Computer Science Press, Potomac, MD, 1979.Google Scholar
- G. Kant “A New Method for Planar Graph Drawings on a Grid,” Proc. IEEE Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, 1992.Google Scholar
- E. L. Lawler “Combinatorial Optimization: Networks and Matroids,” Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York, Chapt. 4, 1976.Google Scholar
- T. Nishizeki and N. Chiba, “Planar Graphs: Theory and Algorithms,” Annals of Discrete Mathematics 32, North-Holland, 1988.Google Scholar
- J. A. Storer “On Minimal Node-Cost Planar Embeddings,” Networks, vol. 14, pp. 181–212, 1984.Google Scholar
- R. Tamassia, “Planar Orthogonal Drawings of Graphs,” Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Circuits and Systems, 1990.Google Scholar
- R. Tamassia and I.G. Tollis “Efficient Embedding of Planar Graphs in Linear Time,” Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. on Circuits and Systems, Philadelphia, pp. 495–498, 1987.Google Scholar
- R. Tamassia, I. G. Tollis, and J. S. Vitter “Lower Bounds and Parallel Algorithms for Planar Orthogonal Grid Drawings,” Proc. IEEE Symp. on Parallel and Distributed Processing, 1991.Google Scholar