2DT-FP: An FP based programming language for efficient parallel programming of multiprocessor networks
We propose a new paradigm for programming tightly coupled multicomputer systems, 2DT. 2DT-programs are composed of local computations on linear data (columns) and global transformations on 2-dimensional combinations of the columns (2D-arrays). Local computations can be expressed in a functional or imperative base language; a typed variant of Backus' FP, 2DT-FP, is chosen in this paper.
An interleaving semantics for 2DT-FP is given, exposing the potential for parallel execution of 2DT-FP programs. The claim is proved that any sequential and thus any parallel execution will deliver the same result.
Keywordsparallel language operational semantics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [A091]K. R. Apt and E. R. Olderog. Verification of Sequential and Concurrent Programs. Springer-Verlag, 1991.Google Scholar
- [Bel92]G. Bell. Ultracomputers: a teraflop before its time. Communications of the ACM, 35(8), 1992.Google Scholar
- [BES92]Y. Ben-Asher, D. Egozi, and A. Schuster. 2-D SIMD algorithms for perfect shuffle networks. J. Parallel and Distributed Computing, 16:250–257, 1992.Google Scholar
- [BRSW92]Y. Ben-Asher, G. Rünger, A. Schuster, and R. Wilhelm. 2DT-FP: An FP based programming language. Technical report, Universität des Saarlandes, SFB 124, 1992.Google Scholar
- [BRSW93]Y. Ben-Asher, G. Rünger, A. Schuster, and R. Wilhelm. Implementing 2DT-FP on a multiprocessor. 1993. submitted to ParCo93.Google Scholar
- [BS90]G.E. Blelloch and G.W. Sabot. Compiling collection-oriented languages onto massively parallel computers. J. of Parallel and Distributed Computing, 8(2):119–134, February 1990.Google Scholar
- [BSW89]Y. Ben-Asher, H. Seidl, and R. Wilhelm. The TRANSPOSE machine: A global implementation of a parallel graph reducer. In Proc. of Tencon'89, Bombay, 1989.Google Scholar
- [Inm84]Inmos Ltd. Occam Programming Manual, 1984.Google Scholar
- [PCM83]R.H. Perrott, D. Crookes, and P. Milligan. The programming language ACTUS. Software — Pract. & Exp., 13(4):305–322, April 1983.Google Scholar
- [Per87]R.H. Perrott. Parallel programming. Addison-Wesley, 1987. International Computer Science series.Google Scholar
- [Plo81]G. D. Plotkin. A structural approach to operational semantics. Technical Report DAIMI-FN 19, Department of Computer Science, Aarhus University, 1981.Google Scholar
- [Ros87]J.R. Rose. C⋆: a C++-like language for data parallel computation. Usenix C++ Papers, pages 127–134, December 1987.Google Scholar
- [Uni83]United States Department of Defense. Reference Manual for the Ada Programming Language, 1983.Google Scholar