Type removal in term rewriting
A property of many-sorted term rewriting systems is called persistent if it is not affected by removing the corresponding typing restriction. Persistency turns out to be a generalization of direct sum modularity. It is a more powerful tool for proving confluence and normalization properties. Strong normalization is persistent for the class of term rewriting systems for which not both duplicating rules and collapsing rules occur, generalizing a similar result of Rusinowitch for modularity. This result can be used for simplifying proofs on undecidabilily.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dauchet, M. Simulation of Turing machines by a left-linear rewrite rule. In Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Rewriting Techniques an Applications (1989), N. Dershowitz, Ed., vol. 355 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, pp. 109–120.Google Scholar
- 2.EhriG, H., and Mahr, B. Fundamentals of Algebraic Specification, vol. 1 of EATCS monographs on Theoretical Computer Science. Springer, 1985.Google Scholar
- 3.Hofbauer, D., and Lautemann, C. Termination proofs and the length of derivations (preliminary version). In Proceedings of the 3rd Conference on Rewriting Techniques an Applications (1989), N. Dershowitz, Ed., vol. 355 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, pp. 167–177.Google Scholar
- 4.Huet, G., and Lankford, D. S. On the uniform halting problem for term rewriting systems. Rapport Laboria 283, INRIA, 1978.Google Scholar
- 5.Klop, J. W. Term rewriting systems. In Handbook of Logic in Computer Science, D. G. S. Abramski and T. Maibaum, Eds., vol. 1. Oxford University Press, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.Middeldohp, A. Modular Properties of Term Rewriting Systems. PhD thesis, Free University Amsterdam, 1990.Google Scholar
- 10.Zantema, H. Termination of tenu rewriting: from many-sorted to one-sorted. In Computing Science in the Netherlands (November 1991), J. van Leeuwen, Ed., vol. 2, pp. 617–629. Also appeared as report RUU-CS-91-18, Utrecht University.Google Scholar