Note on two-dimensional pattern matching by optimal parallel algorithms
We discuss techniques for constructing parallel image identification algorithms: cutting images into small factors, and compressing images by a parallel reduction of large number of such independent factors into smaller objects. A version of Kedem Landau Palem algorithm for parallel one-dimensional and two-dimensional rectangular image recognition on a CRCW PRAM is presented. The crucial part in KLP algorithm is a suffix-prefix matching subprocedure. In our algorithm such a subprocedure is omitted. A novel algorithm for pattern-matching is proposed, more directly designed for two-dimensional objects. It does not use the multi-text/multi-pattern approach as in KLP algorithm. The importance of five types of factors in strings and images is emphasized A new useful type of two-dimensional factors is introduced: thin factors.
Keywordsanalysis of algorithms parallel algorithms pattern matching string-matching image processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AILSV 88]A. Apostolico, C. Iliopoulos, G. Landau, B. Schieber, U. Vishkin, Parallel construction of a suffix tree with applications, Algorithmica 3 (1988) 347–365.Google Scholar
- [AL 91]A. Amir, G.M. Landau, Fast parallel and serial multidimensional approximate pattern matching, Theoret. Comput. Sci. 81 (1991) 97–15.Google Scholar
- [Ba 78]T. Baker, A technique for extending rapid exact string matching to arrays of more than one dimension, SIAM J. Comp. 7 (1978) 533–541.Google Scholar
- [Bi 77]R.S. Bird, Two-dimensional pattern-matching, IPL 6 (1977) 168–170.Google Scholar
- [CR 90]M. Crochemore, W. Rytter, Parallel computations on strings and arrays, in: (STACS'90, Choffrut and Lengauer eds, LNCS 415, Springer-Verlag, 1990) 109–125.Google Scholar
- [CR 91]M. Crochemore, W. Rytter, Usefulness of the Karp-Miller-Rosenberg algorithm in parallel computations on strings and arrays, Theoret. Comput. Sci. 88 (1991) 59–82.Google Scholar
- [[GR 88]A. Gibbons, W. Rytter, Efficient parallel algorithms, Cambridge University Press (1988).Google Scholar
- [KMR 72]R. Karp, R. Miller, A. Rosenberg, Rapid identification of repeated patterns in strings, arrays and trees, in Proceedings of ACM Symposium on Theory Of Computation, 4 (1972) 125–136.Google Scholar
- [KLP 89]Z. Kedem, G.M. Landau, K. Palem, Optimal parallel suffix-prefix matching algorithm and its applications, SPAA '89.Google Scholar
- [Vi 85]