Fast sequential and randomised parallel algorithms for rigidity and approximate min k-cut
In this paper we use new techniques based on flows and matroid theory to produce fast sequential and randomised parallel algorithms for two important classes of problems. The first class arises in the study of rigidity of graphs (also in the study of graph realizations). The second class of problems may be called Principal Partition related problems. We take a representative of this class, viz, the min k-cut problem and produce an RNC algorithm which solves this NP — hard problem within twice the optimal.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Crapo, H.: On the Generic Rigidity of Plane Frameworks, Research Report, No. 1278, INRIA, 1990.Google Scholar
- Gabow, H.N. and Westermann, H.H.: Forests, Frames and Games: Algorithms for Matroid sums and Applications, in Proc. 20 th STOC, 1988, pp. 407–421.Google Scholar
- Imai, H.: Network flow algorithms for lower truncated transversal polymatroids, J. of the Op. Research Society of Japan, vol. 26, 1983, pp. 186–210.Google Scholar
- Mulmuley, K., Vazirani, U.V. and Vazirani, V.V.: Matching is as easy as matrix inversion, Combinatorica, vol. 7, 1987, pp. 105–114.Google Scholar
- Nakamura, M.: On the Representation of the Rigid Sub-systems of a Plane Link System, J. Op. Res. Soc. of Japan, vol. 29, No. 4, 1986, pp. 305–318.Google Scholar
- Narayanan, H., Roy, S. and Patkar, S.: Min k-cut and the Principal Partition of a graph, in Proc. of the Second National Seminar on Theoretical Computer Science, India, 1992.Google Scholar
- Narayanan, H., Saran, H. and Vazirani, V.V.: Fast parallel algorithms for Matroid Union, Arborescences and edge-disjoint spanning trees, in Proc. 3 rd ann. ACM-SIAM Symp. on Discrete Algorithms, 1992.Google Scholar
- Patkar, S. and Narayanan, H.: Principal Lattice of Partitions of the Rank Function of a Graph, Technical Report VLSI-89-3, I.I.T. Bombay, 1989.Google Scholar
- Patkar, S. and Narayanan, H.: Fast algorithm for the Principal Partition of a graph, in Proc. 11 th ann. symp. on Foundations of Software Technology and Theoretical Computer Science (FST & TCS-11), LNCS-560, 1991, pp. 288–306.Google Scholar
- Patkar, S.:Investigations into the structure of graphs through the Principal Lattice of Partitions approach, Ph.D. thesis, Dept. of Computer Sci. and Engg., IIT Bombay, INDIA, 1992.Google Scholar
- Saran, H. and Vazirani, V.V.: Finding a k-Cut within Twice the Optimal, Proc. 32 nd annual Symp. on the Foundations of Computer Science, 1991.Google Scholar
- Welsh, D. J. A.: Matroid Theory, Academic Press, New York, 1976.Google Scholar