Unions of identifiable classes of total recursive functions
J.Barzdin [Bar74] has proved that there are classes of total recursive functions which are EX-identifiable but their union is not. We prove that there are no 3 classes U1, U2, U3 such that U1∪U2,U1∪U3 and U2∪U3 would be in EX but U1∪U2∪U3∉ EX. For FIN-identification there are 3 classes with the above-mentioned property and there are no 4 classes U1, U2, U3, U4 such that all 4 unions of triples of these classes would be identifiable but the union of all 4 classes would not. For identification with no more than p minchanges a (2p+2−1)-tuple of such classes do exist but there is no (2p+2)-tuple with the above-mentioned properly.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AS 83]Angluin, D. and Smith, C.H. Inductive inference: theory and methods. Computing Surveys 15 (1983), 237–269.Google Scholar
- [Bar 74]Barzdin,J. Two theorems on the limiting synthesis of functions. In Theory of Algorithms and Programs. Barzdin, Ed., 1, Latvian State University, Riga, 1974, 82–88 (Russian).Google Scholar
- [CS 83]Case J. and Smith, C. Comparison of identification criteria for machine inductive inference. Theoretical Computer Science 25, 2 (1983), 193–220.Google Scholar
- [Fre 79]Freivalds R. Finite identification of general recursive functions by probabilistic strategies. In Proc. 2nd Inform. Conf. Fundamentals of Computation Theory, Berlin, Akademie, 1979, 138–145.Google Scholar
- [Fre 79.1][Fre 791] Freivalds R. On principal capabilities of probabilistic algorithms in inductive inference. — Semiotika i informatika, Moscow, VINITI, 12 (1979), 137–140 (Russian).Google Scholar
- [Fre91]Freivalds R. Inductive inference of recursive functions: qualitative theory. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 502 (1991) 77–110.Google Scholar
- [Gold 67]Gold, E.M. Language identification in the limit. Information and Control 10 (1967), 447–474.Google Scholar
- [KF 81]Kinber, E. and Freivalds R. A distinction criterion for types of limiting synthesis. In Procedings USSR National Conference of Synthesis. Testing, Verification and Debugging of Programs, Latvian State University, Riga, 1981 (Russian)Google Scholar
- [Rog 67]Rogers, H.J. Theory of Recursive Functions and Effective Computability. McGraw Hill, 1967. Reprinted. MIT Press. 1987.Google Scholar
- [Smi 82]Smith, C.H. The power of pluralism for automatic program synthesis.-Journal of the ACM, 29, 4 (1982), 1144–1165Google Scholar
- [Wie 77]Wiehagen, R. Identification of formal languages. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 53 (1977), 571–579.Google Scholar