A VLSI multigrid poisson solver amenable to biharmonic equation
A VLSI parallel algorithm for solving discretized Poisson equation on an NxN grid is proposed. A standard multigrid algorithm is adopted which allows a parallel solution of this problem in T=O(logN) time steps. A special network consisting of N × N processor elements and of O(NlogN) interconnection lines in each direction results in a design the area of which is O(N2log2N). Thus, the AT2 estimation for this Poisson solver is O(N2log4N) which improves the best result known until now by factor of O(N/logN).
An application of the multigrid Poisson solver is made to a VLSI semidirect biharmonic solver. The VLSI layout needs an area A=O(N3logN) and the time of algorithm is O(√Nlog2N). The total complexity for the VLSI biharmonic solver is AT2=O(N4log5N) which is of the same order as for the best algorithms developed until now.
- 1.B.Codenotti, G.Lotti, F.Romani: VLSI implementation of fast solvers for band linear systems with constant coefficient matrix. Information Processing Letters 21, 159–163 (1985)Google Scholar
- 2.L.W.Ehrlich: Solving the biharmonic equation as coupled finite diference equations. Siam J.Numer.Anal.8, 278–287, (1971)Google Scholar
- 3.W.Hackbusch, U.Trottenberg (eds.): Multigrid Methods. Lecture Notes in Mathematics 960, Berlin: Springer-Verlag 1982Google Scholar
- 4.G.Lotti, M.Vajtersic: The application of VLSI Poisson solvers to the biharmonic problem. Parallel Computing 18, 11–19, (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.J.Mikloško, M.Vajteršic, I.Vrt'o, R.Klette: Fast Algorithms and their Implementation on Specialized Parallel Computers. Amsterdam:North-Holland 1989Google Scholar
- 6.M.Vajteršic: VLSI implementation of fast Poisson solver. In:Proc. CONPAR 88, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 1989, pp. 695–702Google Scholar
- 7.M.Vajteršic: Modern Algorithms for Solving Some Elliptic Partial Differential Equations. Bratislava: VEDA Publishing House (in Slovak) 1988Google Scholar