A parallel expert system using a backward chaining strategy
In this paper a parallel backward chaining technique is applied to a rule-based expert system on a shared memory multiprocessor system. The results indicate satisfactory speed-up performance for a small number of processors (<10) and a reasonably large number of rules.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K.A.M. Ali: OR-parallel execution of PROLOG on a multi-sequential machine. Int. Jour. of Parallel Programming 15, 189–214 (1986).Google Scholar
- 2.P. Arratibel, P. Glize and C. Percebois: Parallelism in the SATIN multi-expert system. In Parallel Processing and Applications, E. Chiricozzi and A. D'Amico eds., Elsevier Science Pub., North Holland 1988.Google Scholar
- 3.H.C. Fu and C.C. Chuang: An OR-parallel processing multiprocessor system for artificial intelligence. In Proc. SPIE Int.Soc.Opt.Eng., Vol. 1095, USA, 1989, pp.286–297.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Gupta: Parallelism in production systems. Pitman Pub., London, 1987.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Ishida and S.J. Stolfo: Towards the parallel execution of rules in production system programs. In Proc. Int.Conf. on Parallel Processing, IEEE, 1985, pp.568–575.Google Scholar
- 6.E.J. Krall and P.F. McGehearty: A case study of parallel execution of a rule-based expert system. Int.J. Parallel Programming 15, 5–32 (1986).Google Scholar
- 7.T. Li and C.D. Marlin: Algorithms for the parallel execution of rule-based expert systems. In Inf.Processing 89, Proc. IFIP 11th World Computer Cong., San Francisco, USA, 1989, pp.331–336.Google Scholar
- 8.G.F. Luger and W.A. Stubblefield: Artificial Intelligence and the Design of Expert Systems. Benjamin/Cummings Pub. Comp., Inc., 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.N.J. Nilsson: Principles of Artificial Intelligence. Tioga Pub.Co., Calif., 1980.Google Scholar
- 10.M.J. Quinn: Designing efficient algorithms for parallel computers, McGraw-Hill, N.Y., 1987.Google Scholar
- 11.V. Singh and M.R. Genesereth: A parallel execution model for backward-chaining deductions. Future Computing Systems 1, 271–308, (1986).Google Scholar