MIMD dictionary machines: From theory to practice
We describe the implementation of a dictionary structure on a distributed memory parallel computer. The dictionary is an important data structure used in applications such as sorting and searching, symbol-table and index-table implementations. Theoretical as well as practical aspects of the development of the application are discussed. Our target machine was a Volvox IS860 with 8 nodes, each composed of one Transputer T800 from INMOS plus an Intel i860. Extensive testing was carried out and the results reported. We also address problems and solutions connected to the programming environment of such a machine.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M.J. Atallah and S.R. Kosaraju: A generalized dictionary machine for VLSI. IEEE Trans. on Computers 34 (1985) 151–155Google Scholar
- 2.K. Cheng and Z. Fan: A generalized Simultaneous Access Dictionary Machine. IEEE Trans. on Computers 40 (1991) 149–158Google Scholar
- 3.F. Dehne and M. Gastaldo: A note on the load balancing problem for coarse grained hypercube dictionary machines. Parallel Computing (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.F. Dehne, N. Santoro: An optimal VLSI dictionary machine for hypercube architectures. Parallel and Distributed Algorithms, M. Cosnard (ed.) North Holland (1989) 137–144Google Scholar
- 5.H.F. Li and D.K. Probst: Optimal VLSI dictionary machines without compress instructions. IEEE Trans. on Computers 39 (1990) 332–340Google Scholar
- 6.M.Loi et B.Tourancheau: Trollius: un systeme d'exploitation pour ordinateur multiprocesseur à mémoire distribuée. Rapport technique LIP 91-02 (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.K. Melhorm: Data structure and Algorithms I: Sorting and searching. Brauer, Rozenberg, Salomaa (ed.) (1984)Google Scholar
- 8.T.S.Narayanan: A survey of Dictionary Machines. Technical Report CSD-86-2 Concordia University (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.A.R. Omondi, J. D. Brock: Implementing a dictionary on hypercube machines. Proc. Int. Conf. on Parallel Processing (1987) 707–709Google Scholar
- 10.A.M. Schwartz and M.C. Loui: Dictionary machines on cube-class networks. IEEE Trans. on Computers 36 (1987) 100–105Google Scholar