Fully abstract semantics for higher order communicating systems
This paper is concerned with semantic theories of higher order communicating systems (HOCS). In these higher order systems, processes exchange processes themselves. In this paper, we present two semantic theories, a behavioral theory and a denotational semantics for a slight variant of Thomsen's Higher Order Calculus. The proposed behavioral theory is based upon the theory of testing due to de Nicola and Hennessy. The semantic model is a higher order extension of Hennessy's acceptance tree model and is shown to be fully abstract with respect to the testing pre-order.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Astesiano,E., Giovini, A. and Reggio.G., Generalized Bisimulation in Relational Specifications, Proc. of STACS 88, LNCS 294, Springer Verlag, 1988.Google Scholar
- 2.Boudol, G., Towards a Lambda-Calculus for Concurrent and Communicating Systems, Proc. of TAP-SOFT '89, LNCS 351, Springer Verlag, 1989.Google Scholar
- 3.Hennessy, M., Algebraic Theory of Processes, M.I.T. Press, 1988.Google Scholar
- 4.Hennessy, M. and Ingolfsdottir, A Theory of Communicating Processes with Value-passing, Report 3/89, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Sussex, U.K., 1989.Google Scholar
- 6.Milner,R., Calculus of Communication and Concurrency, Prentice-Hall, London, 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.Milner,R., Parrow,J. and Walker,D., A calculus of mobile processes, Rep. ECS-LFCS-89-86, Edinburgh University, 1989.Google Scholar
- 9.Nielson, F., The typed A-Calculus with First class Processes, Proc. of PARLE, LNCS 366, 1989.Google Scholar
- 10.Jagadeesan, R. and Panangaden, P., A Domain-theoretic model for a higher-order Process calculus, Proc. of ICALP 90, Springer Verlag, 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.Ramesh, S., Testing Equivalences and Fully Abstract Trace Semantics for Higher Order Communicating Systems, Tech. Report, IIT Bombay, Jan. 1992.Google Scholar
- 12.Ramesh, S., Testing Equivalences for Higher Order Communicating Systems, Tech. Report, IIT Bombay, Jan. 1992.Google Scholar
- 13.Smyth,M. and Plotkin, G.D., The Category-Theoretic Solution of Recursive Domain Equations, SIAM Journal of Computing, Vol. 11, No. 4, 1982.Google Scholar
- 14.Thomsen, B., A Calculus of Higher Order Communicating Systems, Proc. of POPL, Austin, 1989.Google Scholar
- 15.Thomsen, B., Calculi for Higher Order Communicating Systems, Ph.D. thesis, Dept. of Computing, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Sept. 1990.Google Scholar