Fully dynamic 2-edge-connectivity in planar graphs
We propose a data structure for maintaining 2-edge connectivity information dynamically in a planar graph. The data structure requires linear storage and preprocessing time for its construction, supports online updates (insertion and deletion of an edge) in O(log2n) time, and answers a query (whether two vertices are in the same 2-connected component) in O(log n) time. The previous best algorithm for this problem required O(log3n) time for updates.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Aho, J. Hopcroft, and J. D. Ullman. The design and analysis of computer algorithms. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 1974.Google Scholar
- 2.D. Eppstein, G. Italiano, R. Tamassia, R. E. Tarjan, J. Westbrook, and M. Yung. “Maintenance of a minimum spanning forest in a dynamic planar graph” Proc. of 1st SODA, 1990.Google Scholar
- 3.G. N. Frederickson. “Data structures for online updating of minimum spanning trees.” SIAM J. on Computing (14), 1985, 781–798.Google Scholar
- 4.G. N. Frederickson. “Ambivalent data structures for dynamic 2-edge connectivity and k smallest spanning trees.” Proc. of 32nd FOCS, 1991.Google Scholar
- 5.Z. Galil and G. Italiano. “Fully dynamic algorithms for edge connectivity problems.” Proc. of 23rd STOC, 1991.Google Scholar
- 6.F. Harary. Graph Theory. Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts, 1969.Google Scholar
- 7.J. H. Hopcroft and R. E. Tarjan. “Dividing a graph into tri-connected components.” SIAM J. on Computing, 1973.Google Scholar
- 8.G. L. Miller and V. Ramachandran. “A new graph triconnectivity algorithm and its parallelization.” Proc. 19th STOC, 1987.Google Scholar
- 9.R. E. Tarjan. Data Structures and Network Algorithms. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, 1983.Google Scholar
- 10.R. E. Tarjan. “Depth-first search and linear graph algorithms.” SIAM J. on Computing, 1972.Google Scholar
- 11.R. E. Tarjan and U. Vishkin. “An efficient parallel biconnectivity algorithm.” SIAM J. of Computing, pp. 862–874, 1985.Google Scholar
- 12.J. Westbrook and R. E. Tarjan. “Maintaining bridge-connected and bi-connected components on-line.” Tech Report, Princeton University, 1989.Google Scholar